What's one positive/neutral thing that's happened today?

[transcribing Pinkz message - editing]

Can’t reach notebook (or grabber) at the moment, so you’ll have to live with literal napkin scribbles. Sorry

There have been rumblings about Speed-IF having a proper resurgence (although it never truly died [looks at Ectocomp] {the La Petite Mort category has a 4h creating limit}.
I think the time might be [nearing] ripe for that, but need 2 ingredients:
1- impassionned, persistent champion with “transformative” vision (not just necromancing it)
2- Inclusion of other engines beyond parser, with tailored definition of what “Speed-IF” looks like (equity not equality)
PS: there’s room for a proper “retro” revival of late aughts(05’-09’) IFMUd Style Speed-IF but we need to embrance AND not OR (more cakes)

Seconding Pinkunz on this. I think the EctoComp is probably currently the closest you’d have to Speed-IF.
Note: we’ve been talking about having proper Speed-IF sessions with the NeoInteractives peeps, but we’re not sure exactly how this could look like if we do it like the OG one (i.e. at this date and time, we all start working on games and we do this for 3h only).
Do look out for the next Mini-Jam in March, that might interest you :wink:

8 Likes

On speedIF, some years ago I have found a very nifty mean to ensure that is actually speed coding… but let’s talk about in the proper space, that is, competition.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

4 Likes

[???] = ñèàrìnģ

Ĺațê àùģþś= 20⁰5-2009

(Tý :heart:)

3 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Using an AI art generator to make graphics

There’s a lot to comment on here (I laughed out loud when I got to “toilet”), but it’s interesting to me how many of its descriptive sentences use parenthetical commas. The rhythm of the sentences is very samey.

In positive/neutral news, I did a bunch of chores today. In the middle of vacuuming I smelled burnt hair and noticed the brush was spinning irregularly, and I ended up watching a repair video, taking apart the brushroll assembly, and clearing out a big pile of junk (including a bunch of friction-melted hair). This whole story sounds unpleasant, but putting it back together and successfully vacuuming the house left me feeling really accomplished.

A local theater is playing a movie I missed during its original theatrical run (Infinity Pool) and I’m going to a late showing tonight. And between then and now, I’m working on a couple different games, both of which are chugging along nicely. I went and read some of Computerfriend’s reviews last week to reinvigorate myself for working on game stuff, and I feel good about where I am with my creative projects right now.

11 Likes

You’ll have to post your opinion in the Movie Recs & Discussion thread. I’m eager to see what you think about how the Cronenberg legacy is going.

3 Likes

I’m learning Twine.

There’s a small IF idea I wanna poke at, and Twine is more of an appropriate toolset for this one. I need the tiny victory after getting completely paralyzed by the complex multi-facet code structure issue I’m fixing in TADS.

13 Likes

I’m pleasantly surprised that when I opened up the sections for the IFDB Awards, some anonymous person had voted for Milliways in many eligible sections! Which I’m definitely surprised about. Voted!

10 Likes

Wait. Voting’s open?

6 Likes

Yep! The 2023 IFDB Awards now open!

5 Likes

I’m very pleased. For context, I have dyscalculia- difficulty with numbers, particularly time: and it’s a constant struggle, especially when differentiating between morning and night. (Twenty four hour, or military time, doesn’t really help there. It’s just more numbers to be confused by while reading.) It was really satisfying to be able to help a friend schedule things out, especially when I was extra careful counting out the time periods and caught a silly mistake in mixing one in the morning and one at night up, and sorted it out. Had it checked over in triplicate by people who don’t similarly struggle with numbers, and it was right! Yippee!

9 Likes

out of curio, how is your handling of angles ?

Time and angles are the two things even French never dared to metricate…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

Very bad. I mostly try to avoid anything with numbers.

It impacts me in lots of small ways outside of the obvious difficulty with reading time and inability to do mental math: being able to determine coin denominations is pretty difficult. I get extremely anxious and prefer to pay by card, rather than cash, because of it. Thankfully, Canadian coinage is pretty distinct in colour and size, but I often muddle up nickels/dimes/quarters.

My coordination is also fairly poor for many reasons, but a big one is I have a very hard time judging the distance between, or of things. I’m constantly tripping on curbs or stumbling down stairs because of it. Getting out of different vehicles (like taking a cab, or being a passenger) can be dangerous if I misjudge and fall down flat or jar my legs badly on the landing. Stairs are a massive impediment.

Understanding recipes is very hard- I have to sit down with a new one every time I want to try out something new while baking and struggle to make sense of tea versus table spoons. Zip codes are almost impossible to remember- let alone phone numbers. I didn’t know my own address for a very long time because I would always mix up the numbers.

Being able to predict travel time is extremely difficult: I always leave way too much time because I’m afraid of being late- even for routes I’ve travelled for five years. Directions don’t make any sense to me: I once got lost for five hours out of my way because I had stood on the wrong side of the street and taken the wrong transit line without noticing.

I could go on. It’s really a pain in the ass. I also wasn’t aware I had it for many years- I was a good student overall, (gifted, would have skipped grades had it not been for my poor health) so people just assumed I was lazy when it came to math. I kind of just assumed I was dumb when it came to math in particular until a teacher became aware of the fact I had no idea how to arrange physics equations because I cried in frustration that ‘they were already moving, what do you mean?!’ and had been memorizing the ‘shape’ all possible iterations of the equations made instead to answer test questions. It’s crazy what people learn to live with.

5 Likes

You’re not by any chance left-handed, are you? I am and I’ve always struggled with time and apparently left-handers are notorious for this, along with difficulty tying shoelaces.

3 Likes

Nope, I’m right handed! Always have been.

5 Likes

I made my first Twine game! :grin:

This has been quite a crash course and experience, lol. Very different from TADS, lol.

Also I had to learn how to upload to Itch, too!

21 Likes

:muscle::muscle::muscle::tada::tada::tada::tada::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

7 Likes

Been very ill. But I did manage to pick out a title, make some cover art, and work on the UI for my next game jam entry.

toothsomecoverart

15 Likes

Love the pomegranate! Looks really good.

9 Likes

I love pomegranates but they are so hard to eat.

I hope you are doing better!!!

5 Likes