What remains of me - anyone playing on Mac ok?

I’ve been trying to play this today. trying the original competition bulk download version, the online version, and downloading a fresh copy as well. I am using MacOS 10.15.5.

I have tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome browsers. In all of them I get the “CLICK TO PLAY”. But when I click on that the screen goes blank and then nothing more happens. Despite me waiting ages.

I thought it might be because I usually use my Mac on a very large size font/resolution. But when I changed it to a bigger window area (so higher resolution) I still got the same result, and wasn’t e.g. missing a user interface bit I couldn’t see on my default smaller window.

Have any Mac users got it working? If so any tips re browsers etc?

Thanks!

It started up for me normally in Safari under MacOS 11.6.

If you click on the CLICK TO PLAY button and then open the browser console, is there an error message?

I think I got one game in this comp to run by opening it in twinery and running it from there

(Edit: Sorry, mixed this one up with we the remainder)

Thanks for the tip! Checking the Javascript Console in my Safari I get the following bunch of errors:

Summary

[Error] Not allowed to load local resource: file:///favicon.ico
[Error] Cross origin requests are only supported for HTTP.
readAsync (tic80.js:1:6391)
(anonymous function) (tic80.js:1:14422)
Promise
getBinaryPromise (tic80.js:1:14387)
instantiateArrayBuffer (tic80.js:1:15084)
instantiateAsync (tic80.js:1:15849)
createWasm (tic80.js:1:16088)
Global Code (tic80.js:1:239922)
[Error] XMLHttpRequest cannot load file:///Users/vivdunstan/Downloads/ifcomp/tic80.wasm due to access control checks.
readAsync (tic80.js:1:6391)
(anonymous function) (tic80.js:1:14422)
Promise
getBinaryPromise (tic80.js:1:14387)
instantiateArrayBuffer (tic80.js:1:15084)
instantiateAsync (tic80.js:1:15849)
createWasm (tic80.js:1:16088)
Global Code (tic80.js:1:239922)
[Warning] failed to asynchronously prepare wasm: [object XMLHttpRequestProgressEvent] (tic80.js, line 1)
[Warning] [object XMLHttpRequestProgressEvent] (tic80.js, line 1)
[Error] Unhandled Promise Rejection: Error: abort([object XMLHttpRequestProgressEvent]). Build with -s ASSERTIONS=1 for more info. (evaluating ‘new WebAssembly.RuntimeError(what)’)
abort (tic80.js:1:13427)
(anonymous function) (tic80.js:1:15263)
promiseReactionJob

And the picture version:

Ah but got somewhere now! If in Safari (version 13.1.1 in the MacOS as I said earlier) in the Develop menu I change the user agent to Microsoft Edge it still won’t work with the download version, but will play the online link version ok. I get a nice colourful computer display loading on the next screen, and the keyboard works etc. So I think I’m good to judge now! (will be Monday when I get back to this probably)

Thanks folks!

1 Like

I’m not surprised that it doesn’t work downloaded. Multi-file Javascript programs often don’t work from file://. (Some arrangements work; this one obviously doesn’t.)

I am surprised that User-Agent makes a difference for the online version. You might want to report that to the ifcomp team as a bug.

3 Likes