What authors do you keep eyes on?

Leather Goddesses of Phobos definitely counts.

2 Likes

If you want to have played a game, you could try Out by Viktor Sobol, there’s only one command and it’s less than 5 minutes:

6 Likes

Waaaaaaiiiiiiit hoLD ON.

Do you just keep going “out” and the environment changes around you???

That’s such a good idea

5 Likes

You’re kidding me. Aren’t you working on Milliways?

Would I be right to assume that this starts in a closet and you have to come out of the closet?

4 Likes

No, no closets in this one.

I mean yeah, that’s clearly one of the things the game’s central theme is riffing on, but it’s not as literal or one-note as all that - it’s been a couple years since I played it but I remember it being really enthusiastic and taking the premise to logical but unexpected places. Anyway definitely worth the five minutes!

5 Likes

Well yeah, but the Hitchhiker’s Guide is one of the ones I have ever finished. Never finished an Infocom game without a significant amount of walkthrough.

3 Likes

I’m mostly in the same boat, but I found Plundered Hearts not too challenging but lots of fun – if you like Infocom games but haven’t gotten to that one, I’d highly recommend it!

5 Likes

Bogeyman was the game that got me into interactive fiction in the first place, so definitely Elizabeth Smyth. Given that I really loved Elvish for Goodbye, David Gürçay-Morris would be on the list too. Guðni Líndal Benediktsson, since I very much loved Filthy Aunt Mildred. Abigail Corfman as well, as I quite loved The Absence of Miriam Lane and 16 Ways to Kill a Vampire in a McDonalds. After The Impossible Bottle, I definitely feel the need to keep an eye out for Linus Åkesson’s works. Brenden Patrick Hennessy too. Samantha Kahn, Bez, Autumn Chen, Leon Arnott, Nell Raban, Becci. End conclusion, there are quite a few authors that I keep an eye out for any new games they put out. Probably missing some as well.

3 Likes

I don’t really, like, keep my eyes on any specific people to follow their work, but if I see Chandler Groover or Amanda Walker I’m probably gonna try their game by default, which is funny 'cuz I don’t really like parser and Toby’s Nose is an actual living nightmare - but whenever I play a Chandler Groover game, they’re always memorable.

I very rarely follow people outside of events (though I might catch events outside of the forum) - if people release outside of an event I probably wouldn’t know it. Which I guess might be a blind spot, but I think many of the folks here almost exclusively release in events.

5 Likes

Seconding many of the names already mentioned. I also keep an eye out for the work of Pseudavid, B.J. Best, Liza Daly, and Phantom Williams. I love Summit and 500 Apocalypses so much, and I wish they would make another game!

3 Likes

I’d add Anya Johanna DeNiro to the list. I really look forward to a new release.

3 Likes

I am sure that there are others, but Marco Innocenti, Ryan Veeder, and Jim Aikin are the first three that pop into my head. It is not that I enjoy every game that they have made, but that their games are always so unique and interesting that I want to try all of them.

7 Likes

Abigail Corfman and Chandler Groover have been my favs for a while, I used to haunt Groover’s IFDB author page like a hungry little ghost. I subscribed to Corfman’s newsletter so I could jump on Sea++ when it came out :smiley: Every game of Mathbrush’s I’ve played has been fun so I like trying those out when they pop up! Litrouke is my friend so when I can steel myself for the horror aspects of his games I find them enrapturing. And I haven’t played many of Amanda Walker’s games but the ones I have played enchant me so I want to play more (also Amanda you seem so cool I want to ramble about poetry with you lmao. anyway)

5 Likes

Oh, I assure you that I am not. I am gleefully uncool. But I’m tickled that you like my games! And rambling about poetry is one of my favorite pastimes, and there are quite a few other people here who would happily participate in a Poetry Rambles thread. Ready to ramble.

10 Likes