Webified Quixe, snapshop

daqgit.appspot.com/
Enter the Keyboard explorer :smiley:

Added some stuff to quixe to interact better with the external web. I am not sure how i feel about it, thought i throw it into this forum and run away (looking back sometimes).

I see you have done cool stuff, but the scope of what you’re doing is not clear to me. Could you post more explanation?

Hi Zarf, i am honored :slight_smile:

General theme is collaboration with multiple Authors.
Instead of each knowing inform7 only one would need that. Sort of human compiler.
The others would be dragged in by force because they are family members or something ^^

Means it has to be easy to access and to share.
Those coauthors may comment, contribute stories, roleplay-transcripts or write weird inform7 themself.
But only a few of them would be qualified human compilers.

Or they would be dragged in because the Author has magic teacher powers.
Like in this thread: https://intfiction.org/t/inform-7-reference-for-kids/1943/1 .
Which motivated me to show this halfready stuff.

I currently have this features:

1. Url with embedded history in hash. Autoupdating while playing.
    Result: A transcript which you can continue to play. By clicking a url.
    And copying the changed url after playing.
    Can be bookmarked (with informative title), and such replace “save”.
    But history-replay is better because updated stories break saves.
    (May suck with long histories, but still comperable to ide-skein).

(I just noticed the parser here does not like the parens.
I switched it off. TODO: Have to base64 the hash).

Please copypaste the example:

http://daqgit.appspot.com/quixe-work/play.html#%20{"log":["#(OOC%20starts%20with%20"#")","#type%20something,%20then%20bookmark","#type%20something%20more,%20then%20bookmark%20to.","#look%20at%20the%20bookmark%20and%20notice%20the%20nice%20title","#click%20at%20the%20bookmarks%20to%20replay.","#copy%20the%20url%20and%20paste%20it%20in%20your%20favorite%20forum."],"base_md5":null}

This way works offline with file:// - urls too.

1. Modified parchement-proxy which can store histories. makes them shorter.

http://daqgit.appspot.com/quixe-work/play-ajax.html#%20{"log":[],"base_md5":"d42cc808717a5c3e2e3d4f12374a58bd"}

1. A plugin-ready Templates/Custom-Quixe.
    Except that its somewhere in the download at github.
    So you can publish and host with passive webservers (but full urls-histories).
    And test the webfeeling locally.

http://daqgit.appspot.com/quixe-work/spaceless_named/Hack_Hooks_Demo/Release/play.html#%20{"log":["#Has%20history"],"base_md5":null}

1. Command-links - i do not like the name hyperlinks because that is confusing.
    Writing basic examine/go-links is quite automatic, and should help new players to get started.
    (They are not glulx ones because glulx uses numbers, and that easily breaks updated stories IMHO.
    I regex the sayed stuff for own markup. And inject a command as if entered.)

2. Real weblinks (should i say hyperlinks? better not? :wink:

For one i do not like the ide-way with the explicit links.
I like it much better when i can use the keyboard like “examine quixe url”, and a new tab opens.
And closes with ^w. :slight_smile:

For the other, i imagine “augmented” games, where part of important info has to be found outside.
A scenario is a Zombie attack, where you wake up a week later, and have good info about the time before.
That can be articles in newspapers (“static” fiction), 3d-maps made with sketchup (so you can examine the house.
Except without the now present Zombies).
Some riddles may need a real search engine (how to repair something).
Or parts could be placed in the real world (sort of geocaching, real book).
In case one has magic teaching powers, different teachlings could work on different parts.
(teachlings - to much fantasy today…)

I do not know if something of this appeals to others. I am bad with judging such things.
And i do not claim i have a clean implementation.
But i thought either i come in smart and want this features, or i have some fun prototyping and people can judge a real thing.
I know they need to add a lot imagination to go from “Hey, i found the homepage of quixe” to something more playworthy.

Zarf, i am not familiar with your code. Found the places to hack in hooks by debugger :wink:
If you want some of this in quixe, i need some direction, maybe some annotations with comments like “put x here”.
Or maybe you prefer to reimplement parts but like some snippets, looking apis up can be a timewaster and i did it already.