Web-based CYOA games

Setting aside the connectivity issue (which is an occasional but serious one if you find yourself in Afghanistan from time to time, but I recognize I am part of a niche market), the browser itself is a general tool being bent toward a specific purpose, imperfectly.

The biggest issue that causes me to shy away is that I will occasionally do something to lose focus on the text, hit backspace, and watch horror as my browser goes “back,” flushing game progress. I know there are workarounds, but the player shouldn’t need to change default behavior to play; that itself can be a barrier if we are talking about new user accessibility.

I like being able to quickly change font sizes, colors, etc for better readability. These controls are rarely implemented in an easy-to-find manner in a browser; would they even affect the game?

I use Google Docs when I need to edit something away from my desk, but when I have access to a thick client, I prefer it. It’s more responsive, more fully-featured, and loads just as fast on no internet connection as it does with a good LAN (or a high-latency, low bandwidth link from a remote land).

Again, web access is great for outreach and occasional use, but if web-based interpreters were the only way to play, I probably would not have played long.

[Sorry for typos or lack of clarity; typing with week old baby in my lap.]

Sig

That sounds interesting. I will keep watching the progress of Parchment in the future…

General rule: You can’t please everyone and you shouldn’t. For whatever platform someone designs a game, there are always those who will love it and those who will hate it. In other words, any type of game has its fans and its haters. So even if there are gamers out there who don’t like to play in a browser on the one hand, there are enough gamers who enjoy web-based games on the other hand. The key is to gain more fans than haters. I call it the Youtube principle. :mrgreen:

Yours? Congrats! 8)

Yes, congrats! You’ve got 2 or 3 months to get a whole lot of stuff done. Then the baby will start rolling over and you’ll be stealing seconds to work on anything of your own for at least 2 years.

Not that that’s a bad thing.

Thanks! This one is #2, so my primary job lately is keeping #1 entertained/busy so Mommy and #2 can get some sleep, occasionally.

No one has yet addressed the playing-IF-while-toddler-tries-to-help-type accessibility issue, but my workaround for now is to play after bedtime.

do you realize that:

1. platform-independent IF has been around since the very first days of the format? what do you think the z-machine is?
  2. most games playable through parchment were created in platform-independent Inform language without authors ever knowing they should have learned html + javascript to make that possible?