Vampire Ltd post-comp release - request for bug reports

(I hope this is an appropriate place for this!)

Hey all! I’m finishing up the post-comp release of Vampire Ltd. As well as adding dev commentary, I want to fix bugs and missing synonyms/responses with this release.

Unfortunately, I screwed up real bad and forgot to save the transcripts from the IFComp site! So other than a few bug reports in my IFComp feedback, I’ve lost track of what needs fixing.

If any of you played Vampire Ltd and remember noticing a bug, typo, or other bad implementation, could you please let me know here or by PM?

Here’s the changelog of what I’ve fixed for the post-comp release so far:

Changelog
  • Added developer commentary implemented as optional footnotes (via Stephen Granade’s Footnotes extension)
  • Nero no longer turns discreetly away from computers’ operating systems to bite things (thank you, ClubFloyd! As they guessed, this happened because the operating systems were coded as people to take advantage of conversation trees for controlling computers)
  • Added “start”, “log in” and “wake up” and variants as synonyms for using computers
  • Added responses to trying to put things into the blood bag
  • Added replacements for some default responses that I missed in earlier releases (for waking people and things, waking up)
  • Hopefully fixed the bug which printed the in-game changelog in bold text, which only happened in the release version and not in the Inform 7 IDE for some reason
  • Corrected a few typos (e.g. the missing opening quote in the interview scene)

The post-comp version is almost done apart from changing a few more default responses and proofreading the commentary, so if there are no extra bugs to report I can probably release it within a week.

(There are design flaws with Vampire Ltd too, but I’m not looking to substantially edit the content of the game. The design feedback I’ve had is really really good to have, even when it stings, but I’d rather put Vampire Ltd to bed and carry this feedback forward to the next project.)

6 Likes

I can’t remember any bugs, but I do have a transcript of my initial playthrough: https://intfiction.org/uploads/short-url/uBrLHZifwOJzK3Ea9DbhDvTfpps.txt

1 Like

I, too, recall no particular bugs, but have a transcript. This is from the bugfix release of 5 October.

01.txt (111.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you both for your transcripts! I also found a transcript from Mike Sousa that I forgot I had - thanks Mike!

Updated changelog, with new fixes in bold:

Changelog
  • Added developer commentary implemented as optional footnotes (via Stephen Granade’s Footnotes extension)
  • Nero no longer turns discreetly away from computers’ operating systems to bite things (thank you, ClubFloyd! As they guessed, this happened because the operating systems were coded as people to take advantage of conversation trees for controlling computers)
  • Fixed an oversight where “eat raisins” or similar in reference to the raisin box gave a misleading message suggesting that there were raisins in the box; added the word “empty” to the box’s initial appearance to make this clearer
  • Added “start”, “log in” and “wake up” and variants as synonyms for using computers
  • Added “holy symbols” and variants as synonyms for the cupboard to allow for “show symbols to” as a synonym for opening the cupboard
  • Added a “pray” command (which does nothing to change the game state, but a few players tried it in front of the holy symbols, so noiw it gets a response)
  • Added responses to trying to put things into the blood bag
  • Most interesting default verbs in Inform should now get a custom response, along with one or two responses to specific situations (e.g. waking up, thinking, etc)
  • Hopefully fixed the bug which printed the in-game changelog in bold text, which only happened in the release version and not in the Inform 7 IDE for some reason
  • Corrected a few typos (e.g. the missing opening quote in the interview scene)

All that’s left is proofreading before I finalise this release. So, last call for bug reports right now!

4 Likes

I think I’m done! Going to let it sit for a couple of days before I make it official in case I remember something really important I need to add, but you can play it now if you like. Thanks so much for your help, everyone! (And if you do check it out, let me know if you spot anything wrong!)

Vampire Ltd Release 4.zip (1.2 MB)

3 Likes