Using Twine for dissertation

Hello!

I am a Digital Media student and I decided to use Twine 2 for my dissertation. I would like to create a narrative game based on a fictional story about a speculative ‘vegan’ world. I have never used Twine and I am currently trying to experiment with it. Does anyone have tips or tutorials that can help me achieve something functional but complex, in a relatively short period of time? Any advice is much appreciated :smile: Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Well, if you plan on doing anything complex in Twine, then instead of the default Harlowe story format, I’d strongly recommend using the SugarCube story format. SugarCube is currently the most flexible Twine story format with lots of built-in tools, so it makes things easier for beginners and doesn’t get in the way of more advanced users.

It’s a smidgen out of date, but “A Quick Twine (2.2+) Tutorial” by Allison Parrish is still one of the best “intro to Twine”-type tutorial pages out there.

Chapel also has a good collection of libraries that work with the SugarCube story format, among other useful things on that page.

And you might also want to check out my Twine/SugarCube sample code collection, which shows you how to do a bunch of different things in Twine when using the SugarCube story format.

If you’re looking for good places to look for tips and tricks or ask for help in addition to this place, there’s also the r/twinegames subreddit and the Twine Discord channel.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you so much! Got some homework to do now :grin:! I will come back here or go to the mentioned sources if I encounter any issues and difficulties :slight_smile: Many thanks again!

I tried accessing your Twine/SugarCube sample code collection but the link is not working…

Sorry about that. Looks like DriveToWeb is acting up again. I’m looking into it.

In the meantime, here’s the Google Drive download link for the files.

EDIT: Should be fixed now, though you’ll probably have to do CTRL+F5 after opening the page to get your browser to load the correct version of the page.

Thanks for the heads-up! :slight_smile:

Thank you! :slight_smile: