Update to Spring Thing 2023

Update to Spring Thing 2023
Hello! I just wanted to pop in and confirm that Spring Thing 2023 is officially moving forward. After discussion with Aaron Reed, who is stepping down from running Spring Thing after several fruitful years, I will be the next organizer for this and upcoming Spring Thing competitions.

We are still working out the details, and so changes to the website and formal announcement of dates will be coming later on. But the overall schedule should be very similar to past years.

Aaron has done an amazing job expanding and promoting the competition, until now it is one of the largest (and friendliest) IF competitions of the year. My number one goal is to keep the excellent momentum and spirit of Spring Thing going forward. However, I do not possess all of the skills and talent that Aaron does, and so I’ll be looking out for people who can help with the competition in small or large ways.

Keep an eye out for future posts, and best of luck to everyone planning on entering!

58 Likes

:wave: Hi everyone! I couldn’t be happier to have Brian taking over organizing the Thing. His record of dedication and passion for interactive fiction speaks for itself, and I know he shares my goal of keeping Spring Thing a cozy place for folks to debut new work, especially for newcomers to our IF communities. Excited to see what the twenty-first Spring Thing will bring!

32 Likes

That’s so great! Thanks for taking this on, Brian - I know it’s a ton of work but Spring Thing is such a lovely event so it’s very nice to know it’s in good hands.

And thanks too of course to Aaron for his stewardship!

16 Likes

Fantastic news. Thanks to both Brian and Aaron.

16 Likes

YESSSSSSSSS, we appreciate you, Brian!!

11 Likes

Nice! Great news!

9 Likes

How exciting! So happy to hear the news!

12 Likes

Oh, nice, I’d been wondering who’d stepped up to run Spring Thing. Thanks to you both!

10 Likes

Great news! I’m looking forward to contributing more reviews (and testing) than the past year, which was a very good experience for me.

12 Likes

We are putting all our baskets in the same eggs, but this time does not seems a bad plan! XD

Congratulations and thanks for the upcoming effort!

9 Likes

Out of Spring Thing, the ifdb awards, and ifdb itself, I plan on prioritizing spring thing. Ifdb already has a bunch of other very active admins; the ifdb awards are new and also set up to allow others to easily take over; but spring thing is old and valuable.

I also don’t like having lots of baskets on one egg so my goal is to eventually get a spring thing committee that all does part of the job and allows for one person to easily leave. I plan on working on that next year as I’ll use the first year to see what exactly the job entails and how it can be divided into specific sub tasks. I have the time to stay on and work on spring thing, I just want there to be some redundancy in case of emergencies or heavy load.

20 Likes

Thank you @aaronius for those fruitful years, and thank you @mathbrush for taking over. I’m looking forward to this year’s thing. (Especially to the ribbons part…)

15 Likes

Thank you, Aaron and best wishes, Brian! Long may Spring Thing continue to thrive!

12 Likes

Thank you Aaron! Spring Thing will continue to be very dear to me and I’m excited it’s continuing.

And best of luck to you @mathbrush.

11 Likes

Spring Thing is such a great competition. I am always thinking, that if a game I very much want to make doesn’t fit the requirements for a comp, it can always go into the Back Garden of Spring Thing which has loser requirements. It hasn’t happened yet but it gives some peace if you want to do something untraditional and perhaps include something from some older games etc. So thanks to Aaron and Brian :slight_smile:

12 Likes