Undo Output Control won't work with the latest Inform 7?

Hi!

I was hoping to modify some properties of UNDO in my game, so I downloaded Erik Temple’s Undo Output Control, but including it led to these errors:

In Volume - Low Level Stuff, Part - PerformUndo, Section - Patches to PerformUndo in the extension Undo Output Control by Erik Temple:

Problem. You wrote ‘Include (- ! ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== = […] ter undo failure rules +) ); } ]; -) instead of “Perform Undo” in “OutOfWorld.i6t”’ [](source:C:\Users\Ally\Documents\Inform\Extensions\Erik Temple\Undo Output Control.i7x#line106): but this syntax was withdrawn in April 2022, in favour of a more finely controlled inclusion command. See the manual, but you can probably get what you want using ‘replacing “SomeFunctionName”.’ rather than ‘instead of …’.

See the manual: 27.26 > 27.26. Overriding definitions in kits

In Part - Keyboard, Section - Patches to Keyboard in the extension Undo Output Control by Erik Temple:

Problem. You wrote ‘Include (- ! ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== = […] continue; } return nw; } ]; -) instead of “Reading the Command” in “Parser.i6t”’ [](source:C:\Users\Ally\Documents\Inform\Extensions\Erik Temple\Undo Output Control.i7x#line216): again, this syntax was withdrawn in April 2022.

I found a thread on here which recommended Nathanael Nerode’s modified version, but that one is giving me trouble too:

Problem. My low-level reader of source code reported a mistake - “inform 6 syntax error in function ‘Perform_Undo’: malformed expression”.

Low-level material written in Inform 6 syntax occurs either in kits or in matter written inside ‘Include (- … -)’ in source text, either in the main source or in an extension used by it.

Problem. My low-level reader of source code reported a mistake - “inform 6 syntax error in function ‘Keyboard’: malformed expression”.

Low-level material written in Inform 6 syntax occurs either in kits or in matter written inside ‘Include (- … -)’ in source text, either in the main source or in an extension used by it.

Is there anything I can do to fix these issues? The first error message hints at possible solutions, but I have no clue how to modify extensions without breaking them!
(Thanks in advance for any help!!)

The newest version is by Nathanael Nerode. You can get it here:

extensions/Nathanael Nerode at 10.1 · i7/extensions · GitHub

This is the version I used with RTE and Story Mode, so it should be fine.

Oops! I missed your second quote. Editing…

2 Likes

So, if you have this in an empty project, it won’t compile?

lab is a room.

Include Undo Output Control [Version 6.0.220529] by Nathanael Nerode.
1 Like

I actually have version 7.1.230728 and not 6.0.220529 – thanks for specifying that!
I got it from this repository, where I landed by following a link in the other Undo Output Control thread I consulted: extensions/Nathanael Nerode at development · i7/extensions · GitHub

I realize now that it’s marked as “development”, so maybe that’s why it’s not stable? (I’m very new to GitHub, sorry for my ignorance!)

Using the link that you shared, I downloaded version 6 and it compiled successfully :partying_face::tada:

Thanks again!!

1 Like

Nice! Glad it worked out.

1 Like