Underdeveloped: Edge of Chaos

Edge of Chaos” has the makings of an interesting game. The player-character, Jay Schilling, is well-defined, childish and petulant, and surprisingly unsuited for his work as a private detective. He, for instance, constantly makes assumptions about people at a glance, even though his job is to investigate them.

This creates an opportunity to play with both the problems that Jay’s character would create while attempting to perform his job and the problems the player will likely have with Jay while attempting to guide him through his investigation.

But, instead, the game just allows Jay to do things without the player guiding him, and then prompts the player to do Jay-like things when the player is given the opportunity to play. This reduces player agency to a frustrating level. Worse, the game’s keyword-based conversation system breaks the interface’s imperative-sentence format, forcing it to reveal topics the player no longer has the opportunity to discover though game-play.

“Edge of Chaos” is a missed opportunity to allow the player to experience the consequences of clinging to a puerile outlook in a situation which should require the player-character to adopt a more mature approach involving research, empathy, and reasoning.

2 Likes

Walter, thank you for taking the time to play and post this review.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience and that the story missed the mark for you, but at least I got to learn what puerile is after I looked it up. :slight_smile:

– Mike

2 Likes

I enjoy playing characters that differ from what I might expect. I just thought the game didn’t exploit the PC’s characterization in a way that would have made it a more interesting experience.

The critique was not intended to discourage you or your co-author. I was only describing my thoughts about the game in a review.

2 Likes