Unable to save games

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: looks like 2.3.9
Story Format: looks like Sugarcube 2.31.1?

Not really a developer for twine games, just having issues with saving them. The error I’m getting is “localStorage quota exceeded”. Can’t find any solutions anywhere else. Any ideas?

1 Like

I found a Reddit post from HiEv, Chapel, and TME who frequent here also, does this help?

1 Like

If you play a lot of Twine games on your computer, then you may have filled up your computer’s local Local Storage (i.e. the Local Storage for games you run on your computer). For Chrome-based browsers they only provide 10 MB total for that.

If that’s the case, then you can download my Local Storage Manager, extract it somewhere on your computer, then open it in your browser to see what’s taking up all of that space in your local Local Storage. You can then back up any items there and then delete any you don’t need from Local Storage to make more room.

Alternatively, you could use Firefox. Rather that having one single Local Storage for all files on your computer, Firefox actually breaks it up by directory, so each directory folder has its own 10 MB worth of Local Storage. Due to that, you’re far less likely to fill up Local Storage in Firefox.

You could even export data from one browser using Local Storage Manager, and then use Local Storage Manager in another browser to import that data there. If you’re doing that in Firefox, just extract the Local Storage Manager HTML file to the game’s directory so it will have access to that game’s Local Storage.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like