Twine Links Showing [[link]] before the link

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: 2.3.14
Story Format: SugarCube 2.34.1

Hi! I’m kind of beating my head over this because I can’t find any other single examples of this on the internet. I’m building a Twine using SugarCube for the first time (previously have used Harlowe but want more control over appearance) and, despite following all of the instructions, my links are displaying like so:

twinelink

The code itself is very basic:

[[thumbs up]]

Does anyone know what’s happening? I’d like to solve this before I build any further, so I know if I need to switch to another format while I still can. :sweat_smile:

Thanks a bunch!

That’s the debug display. If you view your story using the play button on an individual passage you’ll see that view, but if you use the play button down in the bottom-right corner of the editor you’ll get the normal view.

2 Likes

Thank you! I couldn’t find anywhere that explained that and I didn’t run into that issue when I was using Harlowe so I had no idea what was happening! I appreciate you :smiley:

Each of the Story Format’s is responsible for implementing its own “Test/Debug” mode, which is why the “debug” mode of Harlowe looks & behaves differently to that of SugarCube.