Tutorial Game for the Parser Unaware?

They also need to learn how to win a puzzle adventure game. Objects will be hidden; those objects will grant access to new areas; objects can sometimes be combined or reimagined to solve puzzles, etc.

Even newbies who enjoy sudoko/crossword puzzles for their own sake can be stumped by the cultural norms of “adventure” games (even point-and-click adventures).

2 Likes

Not bad. I didn’t experiment much, so there is probably more tutorial text available. It is funny that the tutorial game overs you if you make a mistake near the end. It’s so on-brand

There’s some oddness because I use the Frotz-native undo to show the success and failure endings.

1 Like

I’m not sure if anyone has done it yet. In a way it might be closer to some graphical adventure games that rely heavily on items rather than actions.

1 Like

I’d like to note, in regards to the tutorial talk going on right now, that I haven’t abandoned this effort. I just suck at Vorple. I have wasted numerous evenings just trying to get buttons to work in Inform7, and I must admit I bit off more than I realized at the time.

I do not find the application of vorple intuitive in any sense whatsoever, but that probably says more about me than vorple.

Anyway, while I’m still struggling with this, and in the spirit of ongoing tutorial discussions, if anyone has any additional feedback about this effort, I’m definitely all ears.

5 Likes

For “button based IF”, I’m always reminded of Mickey’s Space Adventure, and it’s older game Troll Tales. Have you seen them? They’re on YouTube.
I especially like Mickey’s Space Adventure game.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with either, but I’ll look into both and get back to you. Thanks for tip!

2 Likes