Trying to 'release' my story

I’ve read the documentation. I’m writing a story, currently called the ‘The Monk Murder Mysteries’ but with the filename of MonkMurderMysteries.inform

I made a directory MonkMurderMysteries Materials

Then I added these lines to my source:

[code]Release along with a website, the introductory rulebook, and a file of “A Letter to the Bishop of Cornwall” called “MMMLetter.pdf”.

The files to be released when the project MonkMurderMysteries.inform is published are all kept in a subfolder called “MonkMurderMysteries Materials” in the same folder that contains the project.[/code]

Those two lines look to me exactly like they do in the instructions, but with my names inserted into them. However, it just brings up errors when I try to play or release the game:

[code]Problem. You wrote ‘The files to be released when the project MonkMurderMysteries’ : but I can’t find a verb here that I know how to deal with, so I am ignoring this sentence altogether.

Problem. You wrote ‘inform is published are all kept in a subfolder called “MonkMurderMysteries Materials” in the same folder that contains the project’ : but this seems to give something a name which contains double-quoted text, which is not allowed. If you do need quotes in a name, one option would be to write something like ‘In the Saloon is ‘Black’ Jacques Bernoulli.’; but this problem message is often caused by an accident in punctuation, in which case you never intended to create an object - you thought that the text ended a sentence because it finished with sentence-ending punctuation, when in fact it didn’t, so that I read the next words as following on.

(It may help to know that I am reading the primary verb here as ‘is’, not ‘contains’.)

Problem. You wrote ‘inform is published are all kept in a subfolder called “MonkMurderMysteries Materials” in the same folder that contains the project’ : but I can only make ‘a something called whatever’ when the something is a kind I know, possibly qualified with adjectives. For instance, ‘an open door called the Marble Door’ is fine because ‘door’ is the name of a kind and ‘open’ is an adjective which means something for doors. But ‘a grand archway called the Great Gates’ would not normally mean anything to me, because ‘archway’ is not one of the standard kinds in Inform. (Try consulting the Kinds index.)[/code]

It seems to be ending the sentence after the word MonkMurderMysteries and before the file extension ‘inform’ when it hits the full stop, dividing it into two sentences instead of one sentence…

[color=red]Admin Edit: modified to use the code-tags

I hope your directory structure looks like this:

[code]Projects
|
± MonkMurderMysteries.inform
± MonkMurderMysteries Materials

• possible other projects[/code]

as this is how Inform wants them to be.

Your problem is the second line. Just drop it, Inform knows where to look for the folder MonkMurderMysteries Materials already - it has to be contained in the same folder as the MonkMurderMysteries.inform folder.

Ah! Thank you! It all works now :slight_smile: