TriadCity

…because we shouldn’t clog up the greeting thread.

I’m just poking around in this so far, and

• I am really accustomed to the modern IF principle of always condensing rooms where possible; four rooms with ten objects apiece, rather than fifty with 0-1 things each. From my perspective the world is painfully sparse, and navigating it is unnecessarily cumbersome. (Beta, of course, so perhaps the idea is to fill in at least some of the gaps later.)
  • Related, I am very used to being able to navigate without a map. Not here, oh dear me no. (There are lots of very fine user maps, but they could do with being organised a little better.)
  • The fatigue thing is driving me crazy. Okay, there’s a need for dreams, and probably a need to prevent people from exploring too rapidly, but christ paragliding backwards this is annoying. Maybe I should have picked a CON higher than 4. Maybe it gets better once you’re higher-level, or when you know more of the fast-sleep spots. But good gravy.
  • It is extra specially annoying when you’ve just leveled up, are far from Sanctuary Island, and get a million reminders about going back to level up IMMEDIATELY while you sleep. I AM TRYING, GAME.

No doubt some of that has to do with it being a mud. When you have a multiplayer game more rooms are an advantage in many cases. Of course the point is somewhat moot as Triad doesn’t seem to have that many players at the moment.

Fatigue is also a traditional mud staple, though most contemporary games have done away with it as people figured out it’s as annoying as you say.

Navigation is a tricky one; a lot of muds are indeed poorly laid out and it doesn’t help that most aren’t laid out on a grid. However keep in mind that most people play muds far longer than they would play an IF game, so the expectation is that over time a player will memorize the map (notwithstanding that many mud players use a specialized client that automaps).

Key difference between TriadCity and IFs is that TC is intended to be a multi-user, sociable experience. User frustrations such as the need for frequent resting are amplified when alone, and pretty much eliminated when not. Higher-level participants can provide solutions for things like that which under ordinary circumstances will make the need for rest go completely away.

The problem nowadays is finding higher-level players logged in.

TriadCity is very dormant right now, gone quiet while one of the key developers has been, literally, away on a small Pacific Island with extremely restricted Internet access. Meanwhile our friends at the Oracle Corp. have so borked Java in the browser that all-new clients must be developed. Film at eleven.

–Mark