This year's clawfoot bathtub

Oh, nice. Haven’t reached that one yet!

@DeusIrae ah, the number grows ever higher

Two of the earliest games I played involved a wormhole or similar spatial anomaly in the basement.
(They were Passages and Turbo Chest Hair Massacre)

1 Like

I’m concerned about the under-representation of vegetables in this year’s entries.

I had high hopes when I first saw “The Turnip” and “Red Radish Robotics,” but then I realized that they made up less than 2% of the total entries.

5 Likes

Tragic has a whole branch dedicated to the Mushroom Master if that counts.

2 Likes

I noted there were some games about cards. Ascension of Limbs is a bit like text-based card-based game, then there’s Tragic, Saint Simon’s Saw… Minor Arcana is at least story-wise about a set of cards… possibly something else?

1 Like

There’s some garlic - technically a vegetable - in Lovely Assistant: Magical Girl, but it’s not super-prominent.

2 Likes

Seasonal Apocalypse Disorder’s main mechanic is vegetable-based.

(Is a Cursed Pickle of Shireton a vegetable?)

Sheep Crossing features a cabbage prominently

2 Likes

I put some leeks into Eleusinian Miseries, but they could stand to play a more prominent role, it’s true. There’s some thyme in Just Another Fairy Tale, though that’s more of an herb I suppose. Stoned Ape Hypothesis is all about mushrooms, but fungi are a distinct kingdom so that’s similarly probably off an a technicality.

Depending on how you classify a pickle – it was once a cucumber, before being transformed in a vinegar crucible – The Cursèd Pickle of Shireton gives a veggie a starring role.

4 Likes

In fact, the theme of kidnapping and imprisonment with sexual implications is definitely inflated in the plots but not in Radicofani. Father Crifule is a soul hunter.

2 Likes

Electric word, “life” takes place at a Halloween party, too! (This is a good game with a kind of bad title that I hope isn’t putting too many people off).

Just between you and me? I wasn’t thrilled with the title, either. But I’m glad you liked the game otherwise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, you’re probably a step ahead of me because I actually like the awful tongue-twister of a title I came up with for my game!

I did really dig your game, though – thanks for writing it!

Here’s an unusual one: Two games feature magical collars placed on the PC that will constrict and choke the PC to death if the PC leaves a certain area: Captivity and Return to Castle Coris.

4 Likes

Not a big thing per se, but I’ve come across the word “awning” in two games (The Incredibly Mild Misadventures of Tom Trundle, and I don’t exactly remember the other one - The Eleusinian Miseries?), and I’ve never before come across that word in my life.

3 Likes

Maybe “Awning Has Broken” as a modish meta article in new IF? With apologies to Cat Stevens etc.

4 Likes

I remember seeing it in Sage Sanctum Scramble!

2 Likes

@Brian Rushton - Wow, I haven’t played that one yet. So, that makes three!

1 Like

You do have an encyclopedic memory Mathbrush. I seem to remember one in an Andy Phillips game (one of his inspired set pieces) but can’t remember which.

2 Likes

No awnings on offer in Eleusinian Miseries, sad to say – though we’ve got quite a nice portico if you’d go for something in that line…

Maybe it was Vain Empires? I sort of recall one by the bar or restaurant, but I could be misremembering that too and I had transcript issues so I can’t easily check.

3 Likes

I love a nice portico. My memory is not what it was but I will definitely play your game Mike.

4 Likes

I hope you enjoy it! Though now I’m worrying that I’ve oversold the portico.

3 Likes