The Technical Development > Inform Extensions category

A discussion I’ve meant to raise: are we well-served today by having the Inform Extensions subcategory under the Technical Development category instead of just encouraging those topics being posted to Authoring > Inform 7?

I can see it made a lot of sense in 2014-2015 in the wake of the 6G60->6L02 transition breaking most extensions, when there was a lot of per-extension discussion going on. But today it’s little used. Personally, I don’t see value in splitting the I7 discussion between the two places. (And I think a newcomer coming across it is liable to be confused by the three different pinned topics talking about 6L02 and 6L38.)

It wouldn’t shock me if the 6M62->subsequent version transition again broke most extensions and a separate category would make sense again… but in that case I think it’d be more feature than bug to create a new sub-category then than to have those discussions intermingled with others dating to the 6G60->6L02 shift.

1 Like

There was originally a separate category because it was restricted for who could post there, so that only official Public Library extensions would be there. I don’t remember if that’s still the case.

While we can’t make a tertiary level category (putting extensions under Inform 7 under Authoring) we may not need a category at all now that we have tags. So merging it all into the I7 category does have some merits. If people generally like that idea we can do it.

2 Likes

If it’s restricted, it’s not restricted beyond being a regular, 'cause I’ve started topics there.

I believe it was restricted back when the board was phpBB and there was some mechanism that auto-created topics as extensions were published?