The Secret of Darkwoods - free Open-world Text-based game

The Secret of Darkwoods is a non-linear text-based RPG, inspired by Fighting Fantasy gamebooks.

I developed it during the last 6 months, and it will be released for free on Steam in 9 days.

I can send a Steam Key, just ask me. Let me know if you have any questions!

I can’t post a link yet since I am a new user :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Looks fantastic! Are you at liberty to reveal what system you’re using and more about the graphics?

6 Likes

Thank you for your support!

The images are (unfortunately) generated images since I do not have a budget nor illustration talent (I made this free game in my spare time for 6 months). I would love to work with actual illustrators on my next project!

The text engine is custom-made. It’s HTML and Javascript, I am a web developer.

The interesting part in this game is that you are free to explore the world the way you want, I guess. Testers enjoyed it so far!

6 Likes

Thanks. look forward to playing it.

3 Likes

Hello.
Is the game accessible for blind players?
Will a screenreader be able to read it?
Sounds like something I would like to play, so I am going to try the game when I have the chance.

5 Likes

The game has been developed with web technologies, so it may be accessible, but I’m not sure about the map (where there are 60 icons for each location) and no blind players tested it as far as I know. I would be glad to improve the game to make it accessible but I don’t know where to start. Let me know if you want a key to test it, I will give you one!

5 Likes

Yes, I would like a key.
I am curious how much of the game is accessible.
Maybe it is already.
I will let you know what I find.

3 Likes

Please report your findings on accessibility once you have played the game.

Thank you.

3 Likes

You said it will be released “free” is the Steam key just for early access?

Not sure how long you plan to hang around, but brand new users can’t post links for safety. You’ll be able to post links if you hang around a bit and aren’t just driving by to promote your game.

2 Likes

Hello.
From what I can tell, the game is accessible.
The only problem I have encountered was with the unlabelled buttons on the world map, which the author fixed immediately.
Everything else works perfectly.
I am going to play to see if something else pops up, but I do not think so.

7 Likes

Very nice. Thank you for letting me know. I hope to play the game after it is released.

2 Likes

The Secret of Darkwoods is now available on Steam! I hope you will like it!

(I can’t post link, so you will have to search it; if someone is OK to post a link, it could help)

Thank you for your support!

2 Likes

Oops I forgot to answer. The game is free forever.

1 Like

Here is the link:
The Secrets of Darkwoods
Congratulation on the release.

6 Likes

Thank you for your support (you have your name in credits :smiley:)

2 Likes