The indefinite article

My understanding of the meaning and use of definite/indefinite article in linguistics has always been shaky, but in practical terms, I7 doesn’t always do what I want. Help me understand this.

[code]Test is a room.

A body part is a kind of thing. The indefinite article of a body part is usually “your”.

A hand is a body part. It is part of yourself.

test me with “x hand”[/code]

I know that the game says “the hand” here because the definite article is used in most verb responses - the indefinite article is mostly used in listings. But this seems to be obviously at variance with what players and authors would expect.

It seems like in a case like this, we really want to change the definite article, which you can’t change out of the box. What’s the rationale for that?

I’ve come up with this hack, but I’m not sure it will do the right thing in all situations, and of course it won’t affect library messages:

[code]To say the indefinite (item - a thing):
if the indefinite article of item is empty:
say “[the item]”;
otherwise:
say “[an item]”;

To say The indefinite (item - a thing):
if the indefinite article of item is empty:
say “[The item]”;
otherwise:
say “[An item]”;
[/code]

Is this the right way to go?

There is an I6 property “articles” that lets you set the definite article (capitalized and uncapitalized) as well as the indefinite one (uncapitalized - there is no special capitalized indefinite article to set).

You can do it thus in I7:

A gizmo is a thing in the Lab. Include (- with articles "Your" "your" "a", -) when defining the gizmo.

1 Like

Why isn’t that exposed in I7?

It’s hard to expose as-is. You can declare an I6 property to be visible in I7, but only as a single word, not a multi-word value.