Based on feedback gathered in an earlier post, I’m announcing the IFComp 2020 Best Review Competition!
This is a chance for members of the community (including but not limited to authors) to express their gratitude for and appreciation of people who publicly review IFComp games.
Voting will begin on Nov. 29 and extend for 3 days. On Nov. 29, I will make a google form with all public reviewers listed. The names of public reviewers will be taken directly from this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cRpU5gARfu-aJ12gFuGIoOxmYa5s_P-Za4gJL59BM50/edit#gid=0, so make sure to add yourself to that spreadsheet if you want to be considered for nomination.
Voters will assign a score of 1-10 to reviewers in the following categories:
Best Coverage: This is for reviewers who you think did a good job covering many games in the competition. This reward is intended to reward prolific reviewers.
Best Individual Review(s): This is for reviewers who did at least one very good, in-depth review. This is intended to reward reviewers who write thoughtful, deep-digging reviews, even if they don’t post very many.
Reviewers are allowed to vote, but not for themselves, similar to the XYZZY Awards.
There will be a prize pool for this that anyone can contribute to. To begin with, I’ll seed the prize pool with three prizes I offered last year (these are just intended to be fun/non-serious, and I wish I could offer better prizes myself like cash, but others might donate more serious prizes):
- $50 Steam gift card / gift credit (anonymous)
- $20, deliverable by Paypal or Venmo (donated by RadioactiveCrow)
- A gentle review of the reviewer’s reviews (donated by Mike Russo)
- A handwritten letter of gratitude (donated by Mathbrush)
- The prize recipient receives place in my next game as an Easter egg (donated by Mathbrush)
- I’ll edit my IFDB profile page to say “[Prize recipient] is an incredible reviewer. Check them out!” at the top for one year. (by Mathbrush)
Because I have a slight preference for more coverage, prizes will be selected by the top winners in each category, starting with Best Coverage.
There won’t be any voting until the end of the IFComp period, to allow reviewers time to get their reviews in. Good luck!