The Capacity to Serve and Other Stories

My first short story collection is now out on Amazon for Kindle. This collection also contains the Inform 7 source code for my 2023 chicken sexing game, as well as the short story which became the sprint 2 deliverable for the chicken sexing project. If you enjoyed my games, why not check out my static fiction as well?

7 Likes

Congrats for getting those stories out there!

IIRC you entered the chicken sexing game in IntroComp back in 2015 or so, so that’s another IntroComp game completed. (Though it may have expanded much beyond what you originally saw.)

These sorts of posts are inspirational to me because I’ve wanted to do more than write text adventures, and seeing someone have success publishing in both spheres (text adventures/classic literature) reminds me that it is possible.

3 Likes

Thank you, but I am not sure writing a short story about a game counts as finishing it :). The actual game is unchanged from the Introcomp version. Was there even a prize for Honorable Mention in 2013?

The collection itself is self-published, so it remains to be seen how successful it will be, although the individual stories have been published in various fiction markets.

1 Like

If anyone wants a free review copy, please let me know :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Now available as a paperback!

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Armor-Poltergeists-Simon-Christiansen-ebook/dp/B0CHBJ7X7W

New story!

2 Likes

Amazon
Kobo

And another one!

Amazon | Universal Book Link

"Copenhagen, 1802. Watchmaker and goldsmith Niels Heidenreich struggles to get by in a city where the gap between rich and poor has become an abyss. Being a brilliant mathematician and engineer means little without funding, and his family teeters on the edge of starvation.

When a shadowy cabal of intellectuals offers him the opportunity of a lifetime, Niels has little choice but to accept. In exchange for financial security, he must steal two famous—and magical—golden horns from the Royal Chamber of Arts in Copenhagen.

After a successful heist, Niels learns that his new patrons wish to see the horns destroyed for the benefit of their supernatural masters. Now, he is opposed by his former allies, the Danish government, and extradimensional beings who wish to control humanity. To prevail, he must combine his mechanical skills with the powers of the horns and organize the poor and downtrodden in a rebellion against all masters, secular as well as supernatural.

Inspired by the true story of the Golden Horns of Gallehus comes a tale of wonder, the sublime, and the crisis of capitalism."