The 8th Annual New Year's Interactive Fiction Event

Bummed that IFComp is ending already? Spring Thing still too far away? Then aren’t you glad that it’s time to announce

[size=150]The 8th Annual New Year’s Interactive Fiction Event[/size]

The traditional New Year’s Event celebrates the end of a year and the beginning of another with an informal game jam. There’s no judging or scoring, only the pure joy of being creative.

Write a game, story or make anything else following the usual themes:

• Make anything you want
  • Finish a work-in-progress

And also as usual, there are no rules: if you ask “is [something] allowed,” the answer is “yes” [size=85](although entries that are outright illegal or made in bad faith will be discarded.)[/size] Want to give one of your old works a polish? Go right ahead! Want to test how your ParserComp entry fares in front of a real audience? Now’s your chance! Want to present a live webcast interpretation about the essence of the Zork thief through the medium of Inuit folk dancing? Nothing could be better!

The results will be enjoyed over at ifMUD during the weekly ClubFloyd session at noon EST (5 pm GMT) on Sunday, January 4th. If you wish to have the game played in ClubFloyd, send it to newyears@nitku.net by 8 am GMT on Sunday, January 4th, 2015. That’s Sunday morning in Europe and around midnight between Saturday and Sunday in the Americas. If you miss the deadline you’re free to publish the work anyway as part of the event.

To be playable in ClubFloyd the story file must be made with ADRIFT, AGT, ChoiceScript, Hugo, Inform (glulx or Z-machine), TADS 2 or TADS 3. All other formats are of course welcome, they just can’t be played in ClubFloyd. Send the files or a link to online content anyway so that it can be included in the event result announcement.

The entries will be uploaded to the IF Archive afterwards. If you don’t want that to happen, mention it in your email.

On behalf of the organizers, thanks and have fun!

Taleslinger: I’m looking forward to your annual Alex and Paul game!

Thanks. Peter, I guess?

Just a fan.

Reminder: the deadline is in two weeks! Make this holiday season memorable with your awesome IF game!

Final reminder: a couple of days left until the deadline. Still a good chance to make a quick speed-if or give that old WIP some polish!

The 8th Annual New Year’s IF Event is now over!

We had two new games:

Both games can be downloaded here.

We played both of them yesterday during ClubFloyd. The transcript will be made available shortly.

Thank you to all participants, see you again next year!

Alex and Paul live on. It’s like old friends. Weird friends, but hey.

Aren’t there more than 2 entries in this comp? :confused:

There were two comps running, so possibly.

Dang it. I didn’t have time to write the game I wanted. This is the 2nd year in a row I said wait til next year.

I got about 30% of the way through but too much real life happened. That was after getting 90% through a Yuletide fanfic entry without finishing. Now I’m 50% done with my ParserComp entry and just hoping I can get it together in time. I’m feeling over-Comped without even submitting anything!