The 25th Annual IFComp is here

11 Likes

At least one game (Bad Water) seems to be packaged wrong in IFComp2019.zip and is not playable. Maybe there are more.

3 Likes

Hooray!

Wow 82 entries. New record! This’ll keep me busy for quite a while :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed, Bad Water was badly packaged – I’ve repaired it just now. Thank you for pointing it out!

(And, of course, anyone should feel free to email ifcomp@ifcomp.org, or contact me directly, with any other ifcomp.org-related problems.)

– jmac, who is ifcomp.org tech lead this year

2 Likes

I cannot download the .zip archive (https://ifcomp.org/static/downloads/IFComp2019.zip) containing all the games of this year’s competition. Am I the only one?

<Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>1CC8881E9050124A</RequestId>
    <HostId>
        5vZq3b/X7vTJ2hwjPolhK5ByS2iRiH10tOS8Tsc7i91zGkqWiAZtRxIb119dtpVCFxkgxULFuIQ=
    </HostId>
</Error>

By the way, it redirects it to https://iftf-ifcomp.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/IFComp2019-3.zip.

Edit:
Additionally, the download link for “The Untold Story” https://ifcomp.org/play/2082/download downloads “The_Untold_Story.gblorb.js” in plain text.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out! It should work now.

2 Likes

Island in the Storm also seems to be missing some files in the download package.

When I start the program, I get

ERROR:root:current PATH: (text dump of user path)
Could not create pixmap from island_bg2.png
Could not create pixmap from island_bg2.png

Also, the in-game instructions refer to a walkthrough text file which is nowhere to be found. The only files present are island-mac and island-windows.exe.

1 Like

The walkthrough link on the competition page works for me; it is also present in the complete competition zip I originally downloaded.

(This doesn’t have the missing island_bg2.png file though.)

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed the separate link to the walkthrough after posting. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Maybe after I get some practice at finding a button on a web page, I can eventually move on to navigating a Twine game… I expected each download link would include all the files associated with the game, though. (I’m not using the comprehensive download, because why miss out on bug fixes?)

This seems to still be an issue.

1 Like

Has anyone played RĂ­o Alto? The IFComp entry only contains a Windows executable, and there is no contact info for the author. I was wondering if it is possible to get a file that can be loaded in a standard interpreter.

It was made with the Unity Engine, which means, on the one hand, that there won’t be a file that can be loaded in a standard IF interpreter, but on the other hand, that it is possible to get executables for other platforms, because Unity can export to a lot of formats.
I started up the game, but could not find any contact info inside either.
Maybe the comp organizers have the author’s email address and could forward a kind request for providing MacOS and Linux versions, that would be cool.

1 Like

The author of RĂ­o Alto has now uploaded an online version: