Text & Background Colour in ZIL?

I’m experimenting with colour in my ZIL, looking ideally to change the whole background colour and also the text colour.

I’ve added <COLOR 5 8> to my code and the result is a little funky! It has only changed certain areas, the rest remain the default colour (brown and orange).

Any ideas please?!

With the Z-Machine, changing the colours just affects all future output - anything already on the window stays as it is. If you want the whole window to update to the new colours, you have to erase the window.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks David! I’ll work with that.

Thanks

Adam

COLOR CODING

BLACK 2
RED 3
GREEN 4
YELLOW 5
BLUE 6
PINK 7
LIGHT BLUE 8
WHITE 9
LIGHT GREY 10
MEDIUM GREY 11
DARK GREY 12

Capture

Note that, if you subtract two from all of these, they’re easier to remember: the 0x1 bit is the red channel, the 0x2 bit is the green channel, and the 0x4 bit is the blue channel. (They’re shifted by two to make room for 0=current and 1=default.)

The three grays, along with 15=transparent and -1=whatever’s under the cursor, I believe were added in Z6. Which is why they don’t fit the pattern of the others.

4 Likes

of course, back in Infocom days (and the variety of machines and text mode palettes) colour number wasn’t associated to a specific machine… so I think that is unwise assigning color names to the numbers (only the C=64 has three grays in its 16 colour palette; 8 bit Atari has a single-color for the text mode, char and background being differentiated by their luminance; Amiga text mode has only four colours from a palette of 4096, and so on)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

3 Likes

Oh, interesting; do we know how the different official Infocom interpreters reacted to the different numbers?

1 Like

Good question, I may have a play and compile the same test file to the different machine versions to see what happens!

Adam

1 Like