Testing for a WIP IF game, An Unexpectedly Green Journey (Orc life-simulator)

@jkj_yuio

Thanks. I uploaded a hotfix earlier but, for some reason only the fates know, forgot to upload the stats files.

Should be okay now.

1 Like

UPDATE FULL BETA TEST v0.9, (27th March 2024):55k words added, totalling 1.54 million
-Play the final act of your orcā€™s life into old age.
- ā€˜Adoptā€™ a pup and help to influence and raise him into, perhaps, becoming a chief.
-Keep track of your pupā€™s development on the stats screen.
*-Contact old acquaintances, if they still live, to shape your pup.
-Spend your loot improving the tribe or influencing the current chiefā€™s entourage.
-Decide on how you meet your fate, in exile, as a chief maker or idling away your years.
-Receive a final judgement on your orcā€™s life.
-Added a tester option to jump straight into old age, using a pre-made orc.
-Expanded the ending screen for Big Bellies who complete their path.
-Added a cheat mode which, in the finished game, you will have to track down. However, for testing purposes, you can find it on the stats screen at any point, except for old age. -Old orcs lose the blessing of the Crone of Fate and cannot cheat, for narrative and game balance.

If you havenā€™t become a Big Belly, Shaman or chief, now is the time to forge the end of your orcā€™s story. No longer full of vigour, you face a more sedentary existence, beset by the ravages of time- but, your influence can still affect the future.

FUTURE PLANS

The game is now complete. I now will go through everything again and try to catch the typos and fix and bugs I encounter. Some unused events will be taken out. I will probably add flavour to existing events and perhaps make a few additions from my pile of notes collected from the suggestions players have made on this forum.

Please note, I will not be looking to make extensive additions but to polish off what is there. This is now my priority. As I have mentioned before, I may look into adding dlc, or updates, once the game is released and if there is a high enough demand.

I think I have been saying we are nearing the end for the last 6 months, but we really are now. I want to thank everyone who has played my game and given me help and support, through encouragement, praise and constructive criticisms. You have all helped to make this adventure of mine a pleasure to create.

For those who wish to continue helping to fine tune this game, the biggest help will be to find typos. It is a large game and my typing agility skill is barely %20- though speed I can do, sometimes.

I plan to add a credits page where those who have helped, particularly with editing, will be credited- if you donā€™t wish for this, just say. I do believe that people giving of their time to help others should, in the very least, be acknowledged.

(I hope this update is smoother than the last few, the old age section is less complex than the shaman-city path by a mile.)

Krogā€™s blessings to you all!

1 Like

Do you have a way to export all prose to a text document?

1 Like

Good idea. The scene files are all text files so I could do this.

I use an application called CSIDE to help code Choice Script, which has a basic spelling function, though with a limited vocab. When I have written events, I have later put them through Grammarly (free version) to go over things.

However, I am useless at rereading my stuff.

Putting these through a word processor, so I can jiggle with the font to force my eyes to read things with a fresh outlook, will be helpful. However, I am horrible at editing.

Will do my best though!

Thanks for the suggestion Hal.

1 Like

1.54 million words, eh? Ooooh, boy. :wink:

Thereā€™s about 275 words per page (when reading a novel), so that means about 5,600 pages to proof read. So you have about 14 books worth of proof readingā€¦ holy fuck, dude.

Maybe divide the text into 100,000 word file chunks. That way you can work through it and maybe others can offer some help too without any efforts overlapping. If youā€™re onboard for that, send me a PM with a text file chunk and Iā€™ll see how it goes for proofing.

For the horde!

2 Likes

It is a big job- but, much of the text gets repeated with only minor changes, due to my limited coding skills (not knowing how to make subroutines for most of the time writing this)- which again is annoying for editing purposes. But it will not be the same as a massive novel- just a very large one :slight_smile:

The scene files vary in length. Some of the later ones have procedural random strings. Some are a few thousand words, the largest nearing 100,000 words.

Thanks for the very kind offer. It might be a good idea to send you, if are willing, some of the earlier parts of the game. Here, the choices are less complex with fewer large paragraphs- perhaps less daunting to look through. Also, these are the sections I am far too familiar with, which affects my ability to see mistakes as I just read through and mentally add what it should be, rather than what it is- if that makes sense.

Iā€™ll start to proof tomorrow and probably send you a few of the files over the next couple of days- altogether I wonā€™t send you more than 100,000 words worth.

Some of the testers of the choice script forums might be able to find rough patches too. Iā€™ve already found a few good editors there.

Great help, Hal. :pray:

1 Like