Tales of Tale: Reviews of the 2010 IFComp

Hi,

I’m trying to play as comp games as possible. Four games will be left out, as I’m reviewing them for SPAG. These reviews will usually be written shortly after playing the game, so they might be a bit hot-headed at times. Still, I think this provided valuable input for the authors. I’m too lazy to come back and revise them, too.

I hope you find them helpful. Thanks to everyone who wrote or tested a game this comp.

-Best,

Marius

The Blind House
by Maude Overton

A mixed bag. The writing and implementation are solid, and good. It is a bit flowery, as this sort of IF seems prone to be, but it wasn’t head-achingly so. The game labels itself as more of a story than a game. Nevertheless, within a few turns I find myself looking for keys and typing UNLOCK EAST DOOR and searching bookshelves for passwords.
Which I usually don’t mind, I was just put in a different mindset by the blurb, which in itself is dangerous for a game that depends so much on mood as this one. The overall atmosphere was good - quite creepy, and the mental state of the protagonist was superbly blended into room descriptions. However, if you are an unstable woman carrying an undroppable kitchen knife, with no memories of the prior evening, the kind of ending this game has is hardly suprising.

R
(Pron: Arrr)
By therealeasterbunny

This appears for completeness’ sake. I will not waste my and your time by reiterating what countless other reviewers will say.

Mite
By Sara Dee

[spoiler]I had a problem with the ending of this game. I tried it on two interpreters - Gargoyle and Floyd (on IFMud) but I couldn’tz get the winning command to work. Must be something in the sequence of commands. Thanks to Jonathan Blask for providing the winning text.

This game is cute, in a good way. You’re playing a pixie in a some sort of Children’s Book magic garden, with nymphs and talking snails and magic bridges. In fact, it shares many aspects of old children’s books: There is a suprising element of violence, it doesn’t have much of a background world (and doesn’t need it), and there is even the hint of development in the main character, who starts out as a bookworm (we are told), but ends up having gotten a taste for adventure.
The length of the game gives it the feel of an intro. We have a seperate comp for that! But I’m just griping because I liked the game and want to see more.[/spoiler]

I had trouble too.

I didn’t realize you had to X ME to allow the game ending action.

Hope to see more reviews. I considered making an alternate topic, just to get talk, the right sort, going.

The Bible Retold: The Lost Sheep
By Ben Pennington

Now, games about missing livestock have big shoes to fill… Honestly, though, the comparison to Lost Pig only came to me after finishing the game. “Lost Sheep” stands allright on its own, a short, funny inoffensive game. It seems to me, trying the AMUSING or red herring stuff here is actually more of the point here than actually solving the puzzles. (Which is done quickly.) There is really not much else to say - It accomplishes what it wants to be, a fun little romp.

ASchultz, thanks for the heads-up. Curious bug, that one.