TADS documentation - offline copies

This has probably been asked before, but a cursory search has drawn a blank: where would one go to get offline copies of the TADS manuals (especially the docs in the Adv3Lite bookshelf)? Are they zipped up somewhere for download?

2 Likes

On the TADS downloads page, under “Other TADS packages → Show full list”, subsection “À la carte components”, there is a link to a download for the full documentation package.

The direct link is: http://www.tads.org/t3dl/t3doc.zip

For Adv3Lite, the documentation is included in the downloadable zip file for the library itself, in the “docs” subdirectory.

4 Likes

They are around, and the one for TADS 3 are here, that is, in the horse’s mouth, and the one for a3Lite is included in the main download in the IF archive, you can copy the directory where you usually kept the local copies of IF documentation (for me …/if/doc/eng/tads3/ and …/if/doc/lib/tads3 respectively)

HTH and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.
(in a brief lull from political work…)

3 Likes

Thanks both!

2 Likes

Have you used TADS before, Christopher?

1 Like

No, I’ve mainly used Adventuron before. In comparison, TADS is overwhelmingly full featured and somewhat impenetrable to someone with no background in coding (like me). I’ve spent the past few months reading through bits and pieces of documentation while dragging my heels and generally tarrying in every conceivable way (in typical writer fashion) rather than actually getting down to implementing this game that I’ve got all worked out from start to finish, but I can delay no longer!

Prepare, TADS-people, for a series of naive and patience-testing questions as I attempt a shaky take-off…

5 Likes

If you’re asking about adv3Lite docs, allow me to shamelessly plug the adv3Lite periplus, which organizes the adv3Lite docs by subject matter. There’s also the dusty, needs-more-love TADS 3 Cookbook wiki for solutions to common problems.

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve got both of those bookmarked - thanks!

4 Likes

Welcome to TADS! I’m an adv3 user, but I’m happy to help if I can…

2 Likes