TAB (ThinBasic Adventure Builder)

Me too, as an amateur, and it’s more fun that way.
My English does not suit your understanding, and you’re not the only one!

Yes, like an alias. Your objects are identified by a number, but this number can easily be an index in a string array containing unique text identifiers.
Array id_text(4) = { "nothing", "my_id_sandwich", "another_id_key", "id_spade" };
I can identify an object either by its ID number (e.g. 2) or by its unique ID text (e.g. another_id_key).
In the scripts I can therefore type ‘2’ or type ‘another_id_key’.

Thanks auraes,
I understand a bit more, I think - I’ll look into it closer

I posted the update to v68 to my page yesterday, 27 Nov.
It has the 'Find" buttons, the Character Editor correction you reported and the left-aligned radiobutton labels as requested by Garry.
Also included the latest Quickstart tutorial html.

You may need to refresh your browser to see the updated home page with latest versions.

catventure/Phil.

Hi auraes,

I’ve kinda implemented this now. There will be dropdown combobox on Objects, Characters, SysMessages, Locations and Messages for easier editing
Pick from the list and press the [Edit] button to go and edit it.

The [Find] buttons will now search the relevant texts for valid words specified in its editbox field and is another way to quickly edit a selection. (Input can be in lower, upper or mixed case)

Therefore there will be another TAB update soon. 100% compatible with previous version.
Will let you know when uploaded.

Regards,
catventure.

You can have too much of a good thing!
I will take a look at it. I’m interested in simple, user-friendly tools that are suitable for beginners.

Some recent updates to TAB.

02 Apr 2021 (Release 68)

*Some tweaks, improves, checks and code cleaning to:
quicksave/quickload, undo, load/save, turns.

27 Mar 2021 (Release 68)

*NEW Vocabulary Editor has a [View] button to show the Vocabulary in a TAB Viewer.
*IMPROVED The TAB Viewer windows now allow access to Editor.
*IMPROVED Multiple Instances of TAB Viewer window are now allowed. Any TAB Viewers open when the Editor is closed are automatically closed.
*IMPROVED Diagnostic Window now allows access to Game Window. Diagnostics window will automatically be closed when Player is exited.
*ADDED a menu option to The TAB Viewer to view Character Responses.
*FIXED The ‘examall’ action was not working on Objects greater than 100.
*IMPROVED Vocabulary Editor does not delete text from EditBox after an “Invalid Vocabulary Syntax” error dialog report.

17 Feb 2021 (Release 68)

*UPDATED updated some “autorun” code to work better.

25 Jan 2021 (Release 68)

*UPDATED: When user enters “dx” into the Editor version of Player to invoke Diagnostics the panel remains in view until new [EXIT] button is pressed allowing multiple changes to be set to values of flags, room, object locations, weights, character locations etc…

catventure.

I posted a minor update to the TAB Adventure System Editor (PAW/Quill/GAC variant) on 15 Mar 2022

(Works on Windows XP and above)

Online tutorial updated too:

http://tab.thinbasic.com/QuickTutorial.html

Regards,

catventure.

4 Likes

I’m happy to report that v.68 run fine under Wine 5.0.3 (Debian 5.0.3-3)

placed in its proper place (if/eng/wsozz/tab). At least a working winsozz IF language/creator (yes, ADRIFT, I’m looking at you…), hence I can tolerate a closed-source software (note that is installed in the …/if tree, not /usr/local/bin…)

Thanks, and best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

Thank you for the information, PIERGIORGIO. It is good to know it works on that set-up.

Today I posted a new version 70 of the TAB program.

Previous v68 databases will load but not run correctly in the new version due to some changes to System Messages and other things.
However, I am happy to convert data to run under the new version, if anyone requires it. :smile:

Regards,
catventure.

5 Likes

A new version of TAB was posted on 02 Oct 2022 to:

Regards,
catventure.

4 Likes

21 Aug 2023 (Release 71)

*UPDATED System Message 48 has been expanded to include text customisation of TAB game window menu bar items. (useful for other language and translation purposes)

If using a database created with prior version 70 then to make compatible before running it will be necessary to add menu text items [43] to [52] to the System Message 48 list - as shown in the “default database” in this version 71 otherwise the menu bar items will not appear in the TAB Player game window.

*NEW Split-Screen Graphic/Text version. Replaces previous horizontal graphics version.

*NEW “lock” and “unlock” actions in graphics versions of TAB to disable/enable window resizing in the TAB game window.

Regards,
catventure.

5 Likes

3 Likes