[Sugarcube2] Procedural variables selection & edit !SOLVED!

Hello, I am using Sugarcube2.34 and I have this issue with automating “variable selection”.
I am not native english speaker, so apologies if I use some terms incorrectly.

I have this part in my code where I need to set a bunch of different variables depending on how many times a button was pressed.
Not in a way that: 1st press → $var1 = 1 // 5th press → $var1 = 5
But like: 1st press → $var1 = 1 // 5th press → $var5 = 1

So in theory, 100th press would execute the contents of the button but using $var100 without me having to set up switch with 100 different cases.

My initial idea was something like

<<set $pressCounter to 0>>

<<link "Button">>
   <<set $pressCounter += 1>>
   <<set $var$pressCounter to true>>
<</link>>

This obviously doesn’t work.

So in sum: Can I make a button, that will set different variables(1↔X) based on another variable(selector) without having to code each and every single possible option.

I hope this makes sense, sorry if it was answered somewhere her before, not really sure if there is even a proper term for this issue to search.

Thanks in advance!

• M
1 Like

Hello!
Do this:

<<link "Button">>
<<set $pressCounter += 1>>
<<set variables()[ "var" + $pressCounter ] to true>>
<</link>>

Whenever you want to invoke a variable’s name through another variable, use the “variables()[ $foo ]” method.

Bye now!

1 Like

Holy crap it works!

Thank you so much dude, you saved me buttload of hassle :wink:
Would buy you a beer if I could.

Cheers!

1 Like

note: The variables() function returns a reference to the State.variables property, so you can save yourself the additional cost of calling a function by using that property directly.

<<set State.variables[ "var" + $pressCounter ] to true>>
2 Likes

What exactly is the advantage of: State.variables vs. variables() ?

From a technical point of view there is an addition cost associated with calling a function.

And if you look at the source code of the variables() function you will see that all it does is return a reference to the Object contained in the State.variables property.

So when you use variables() instead of just State.variables in your code, you’re paying the addition cost of calling a function to end up with the same result.

1 Like