Sugarcube does not support non-English games anymore

Latest Sugarcube update doesn’t work for games with non-Latin titles. The bug is closed with wontfix resolution and the closest official solution will be only in Sugarcube v3.

It’s easy to test on https://twinery.org - name the game something like “Привет” and select Sugarcube as the format.

The error message is not in Twine translation files, so it will always be in English. Tell your non-English speaking friends if they see this error.

(The exact error message is Error: story title must include characters from the basic Latin alphabet., just so this thread would be in the search results.)

Crude CSS fix by @feyfolken :

::StoryTitle
NotMyRealTitle

::StorySubtitle
RealTitle

::Style[stylesheet]
#story-title { 
    display: none; 
}
#story-subtitle {
    margin: 0;
    font-size: 162.5%;
}
1 Like

Sugarcube does not support non-English games anymore

What a wonderfully hyperbolic title. /sigh

The issue, as noted in the ticket you linked to, only affects games with names/titles that contain absolutely no basic Latin characters. Thus, most western and middle European languages are not adversely affected. Those primarily affected are mainly eastern European and Asian users.

The ticket has also been updated with additional information.

2 Likes

The title is not hyperbolic. This issue makes an alert in English. Every author who doesn’t read English is going to see gibberish message and lose the ability to run their games. Even the Western Europeans don’t have to always use ASCII characters.

You’re sending people to Google Translate just to figure out why their games are broken after a minor upgrade. The code is already shipped on twinery.org and it affects all new games, old drafts and imported games.

This is a victim support thread to have the problem and quick fix in the search results. It can’t wait on hold.

2 Likes

Found a new solution for the authors: rename the game using two or more words instead of one. A space inside the title counts as Basic Latin (I guess because it’s ASCII). A space before or after gets trimmed and doesn’t count.

1 Like

The title is not hyperbolic.

The title asserts that more people are affected by this than is actually the case, which is a gross exaggeration, and seemingly intentional. It is the very definition of hyperbole.

Even the Western Europeans don’t have to always use ASCII characters.

They don’t have to. The issue triggers when zero characters come from the basic Latin set, which is highly unlikely to affect most western European scripts—as I noted previously. You’re attempting to make this larger than it is.

Beyond that, and and detailed in the ticket, the issue that was patched by the change that caused this issue is significantly worse, so I’ll take a temporary onerous requirement for authors over potentially allowing player data to be clobbered every time.

This is a victim support thread to have the problem and quick fix in the search results.

I’ve not objected to anyone attempting to offer support—as I noted in the ticket, “Spreading the word about that would be both beneficial and appreciated”. What I objected to was the mischaracterization of the scope and tone.

It can’t wait on hold.

To be clear. A general fix is on hold, because it has to be. I am not breaking all players’ data to pander to a smaller group, which is what actually fixing this now would entail. That is why it’s been pushed off until v3.

I did not say that I was not going to do anything to provide some relief in the meantime. I’m looking at the options I have available and I’ll probably be able to do something to help the situation.

5 Likes

I did not say that I was not going to do anything to provide some relief in the meantime. I’m looking at the options I have available and I’ll probably be able to do something to help the situation.

Getting back to this. I’ve attached an alpha of 2.30.0 to the ticket. If you, or anyone else, wants to give that a try, feel free. It’s not a complete fix, but it should workaround the issue in a mostly satisfactory way.

2 Likes

Yes, that works. Thank you.

I uploaded SugarCube 2.30.0 alpha on my server, so anybody can quickly add it to their Twine installation: (edit: link and files removed since official release coming soon).

1 Like

The alpha does not reflect the final state of the code, which has been released. In particular, the workaround in the final code is more extensive and should provide a better experience. I’d ask that you remove the alpha from your server.

1 Like

Done.

I’ve also sent a PR to Twine HQ, so hopefully it’ll be in a new Twine 2 release soon for users of that compiler.

1 Like