SugarCube 2.33.0 - Child Tag <</if>> error

Twine Version: Twine 2.3.9
Story Format: SugarCube 2.33.0
I’m getting the error “Error: child tag <> was found outside of a call to its parent macro <>” and the only two posts I’ve seen about it don’t seem immediately applicable to what I have. This is my first time making a twine game so please dont judge the actual writing beyond the code and such. I just want to know if theres something I’ve done wrong causing the error to happen. The relevant portion of the passage is

<<if $memory1 + $memory2 == 2>>
	You take a deep breath, and think about ?her_ memories that you do know. While you can't be certain that you know the reasoning of someone who does not even know themselves why they are the way they are, you suspect that the neutrality that Caesar ostensibly had by not falling into any political party made them popular in certain online circles. To ''you'' it is unimaginable why people would devote themselves to an online billionaire who they have never met and who named their child <span class="boobs"> a very specific hex code that will 100% get them bullied in school if their parents don't let them change their name after they inevitably get a divorce after fighting on twitter dot com </span>. [[with this information in mind formulate a plan to accomplish your mission|the nuclear option]]
<<else>>
[[begin planning on how to execute your mission|the nuclear option]]
<</if>>

Any help would be appreciated, be it with the way I’ve chosen to do this or if I’ve missed a bracket somewhere.

I copied the code into my Twine, and ran it with no errors as-is. The syntax looks right for the if/else to me as well.

Running with it not equalling 2, it displayed the ‘else’ portion.
I set memory1 to 1 and memory 2 to 1, so they would equal 2, ran it and it displayed the ‘if’ portion of the code.

I didn’t set the hook, I assume that’s for the gender pronouns?

There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong in your example, so the issue is likely a missing angle bracket, or something similar, in code that comes before it.

You might want to try checking the published HTML file using SugarValidator. It might help you figure out where the error really is.

If not, then we’ll need to see more of the code in that passage.

Hope that helps! :grinning:

Thank you for this link! it told me exactly where the line was, and as it turned out it was something earlier in the passage I forgot to add a > to. Thank y’all for your help.

Thank you for your help, and yeah it was for the gender pronouns.

Thank you for your help, yeah it turned out i missed an > earlier in the passage. Didn’t know that would effect it the way it did honestly.