Stuff not happening during scenes! Help plz!

Hello to anyone willing to help!

What am I doing wrong here? Here’s the code:

instead of doing something while in Brewing Chamber3: if player is combative: say "Johnny is too quick for you. His revolver is drawn and fired before you can act. Luckily, ([italic type]very[roman type] luckily), it misses you. The bullet ricochets off the mashing tun with a small spark and whistle. Pete Bonsiero pulls out a revolver and aims it at you."; now the player is threatened; otherwise: continue the action.

“combative” is already defined and “showme” verifies it is active. “threatened” is also defined.

I’ve also tried it thus:

instead of doing something while in Brewing Chamber3: if confront-premoli is happening: say "Johnny is too quick for you. His revolver is drawn and fired before you can act. Luckily, ([italic type]very[roman type] luckily), it misses you. The bullet ricochets off the mashing tun with a small spark and whistle. Pete Bonsiero pulls out a revolver and aims it at you."; now the player is threatened; otherwise: continue the action.

“scenes” command verifies the scene “confront-premoli” IS happening.

But when I do anything, it does the standard reply, as if the scene/condition isn’t occurring, but again, they are! lol

I’ve been wrastlin’ with this for 2 days. Plz help k thnx!!!

I can’t say as I really know what is going wrong with the way you’ve set it up (I don’t recall using this ‘while in’ syntax before), but I’d arrange it more like so and hope the two stacked clauses would work…

Instead of doing something when the location is Brewing Chamber3 during confront-premoli: say "Johnny is too quick for you. His revolver is drawn and fired before you can act. Luckily, ([italic type]very[roman type] luckily), it misses you. The bullet ricochets off the mashing tun with a small spark and whistle. Pete Bonsiero pulls out a revolver and aims it at you."; now the player is threatened;

thanks, man, I’ll give it a shot. At this point, I’ll try anything. :slight_smile:

I just checked in my own code and adding a ‘during’ clause after a ‘when’ clause apparently does work b/c I seem to have done it before.

Thank you, it seems to be working! Cheers!

Your original code worked correctly for me – with appropriate definitions, I mean. I tried this test case:

The Kitchen is a room.
Brewing Chamber3 is a room. It is south of the Kitchen.

Confront-premoli is a scene.
Confront-premoli begins when in Brewing Chamber3.

A person can be threatened.

Instead of doing something while in Brewing Chamber3:
	if confront-premoli is happening:
		say "Johnny is too quick for you.";
		now the player is threatened;
	otherwise:
		continue the action.

That works the way you want. So you were on the right track, actually – something else must have been wrong with your code.

Thank you. I felt it should’ve worked, too. Something must’ve been overriding it or something. I finally got it sorted, but thanks for taking a look at it! I make notes on all of this stuff, lol. :mrgreen:

I’m having a similar problem, I think. I’ve simplified it for testing purposes and it still doesn’t work:

every turn while red alert is not happening:
say “Not happening”.

every turn while red alert is happening:
say “It’s happening”.

The every turn while red alert is not happening rule is executing just fine… but the every turn while red alert IS happening rule is not firing at all. I checked it with rules on. There are several other “every turn” rules also firing, but the same ones for either of the red alert rules. Is there a limit to the number of Every Turn rules that can be running at once? What gives?
–Jay

The source There is a room. Red alert is a recurring scene. Red alert begins when the current action is jumping. Red alert ends when the current action is singing. Every turn while red alert is not happening: say "Not happening". Every turn while red alert is happening: say "It's happening". Test me with "z / jump / z / z / sing / z / z / jump / z / sing". works, so there must be some relevant code besides that in your post. Maybe try commenting things out until it starts working to narrow down the cause.

One thing to look at might be the last “every turn” rule that fires – if it behaves differently depending on the scene, perhaps it’s cutting off the “every turn” rulebook when red alert is happening.

Found it… I had a string of conditionals that ended with “stop the action” but the condition had never come up until now so I didn’t notice that it was a problem. Fixed. And this was the last event in the last scene of my game, so now I can send it out for testing. Thanks!

On this topic: is there a difference between “every turn while/when XX is happening” and “every turn during XX”? I’d love to standardize to use the shorter, clearer “during” construction, but I want to make sure they’re really identical.

They are identical.