Stuck on Wade Clarke's "Leadlight"

I’m close to solving the ending of this one. I can feel it! I just can’t figure out what to do to enter the leadlight door at the end of the game without getting killed. I’ve made it so far without hints or clues, but now I can’t find anything telling me how to solve this ending online and I’m stumped. Any little hints to help me finish this game I’d certainly appreciate. I want to know how the story ends!

Here’s what I’ve got

• I’ve killed Eve
  • The alchemist and automatons are not dead, but they are all stranded in the library from my fleeing enough times and losing them
  • I killed Belinda’s duplicate with the hairpin
  • I killed the witch and I have the bell
  • All of the other enemies are dead that I can think of

Each time I go past the leadlight door the torch goes out and I get killed, but I can’t enter the room without it (or a “source of light.”) I tried dancing and ringing the bell again after entering the room, but no luck. Is there maybe another source of light I should be looking for?

2 Likes

This hint will definitely get you unstuck. I’ve rot 13’d it:

Va gur qnex, unir lbh gevrq nyy qverpgvbaf?

-Wade

2 Likes

Yay!!! Thank you.

1 Like

I am stuck somewhat earlier on Leadlight Gamma, in a place where the hints don’t help: I can’t open the oak door without dying. I’ve figured out how to avoid the acid trap, but not how to avoid being killed by the giant.

I think I’ve been everywhere else in the game (south of that room) and seem to have solved most of the obvious puzzles. Obvious still-open questions for me at this point, besides the thing I’m primarily asking about, are can I save the three girls from the dobermans in the Grand Hall and is there anything useful I can do with the figurine.

In case it’s helpful, here’s some information about my game status:

What now? i
You are wearing:

• The founder’s signet ring
  • A summer uniform
  • Gloves
  • Your ballet slippers
  • Your ‘Belinda’ necklace

You are carrying:

• A note
  • 3d glasses
  • A toy wand
  • A poker
  • A medical kit
  • The founder’s crest
  • A figurine of yourself
  • A paintbrush
  • A school tie
  • A key
  • A pair of shears
  • A Maglite torch
  • A piece of paper
  • A mobile phone
  • A shard of glass
  • A croquet mallet (WIELDED)
  • A stump
  • An iPod
  • Your winter uniform
  • Your school shoes
  • Your jewelled hairpin

What now? score

>> YOUR SCORESHEET:

WEAPONS FOUND: 9/11
SECRETS FOUND: 16/25
THE SLAIN: 14/22

DEATHTRAPS HIT: 0/20

Rescued Alexis (+5 POINTS)
Helped Sheryl (+5 POINTS)

>> YOUR CURRENT SCORE

49/80 in 601 moves

Any help is appreciated!

2 Likes

Re: how to avoid being killed by the giant

Hint: This is a hiding moment as I recall? Check the room description and see if there’s something in the room you could HIDE (THING) that you haven’t tried yet.
Actual solution: HIDE FERN

Re: can I save the three girls from the dobermans in the Grand Hall,

Answer:

Summary

No.

Re: is there anything useful I can do with the figurine.
Answer: No. It simply provides another way to die. Though it’s not fatal to just pick it up and carry it around.
Spoily further detail: You will die if you drop it.

-Wade

2 Likes

ARGH! I cannot believe I didn’t think to try that.

Wonderful game, Wade. Thank you. Well worth the purchase price even after playing the Apple II version years ago.

1 Like

Great! Thank you.

-Wade

1 Like