Stephen Granade IF Let's Plays!

The most recent, Animalia, has an episode number, so I hope we can look forward to more of these!

7 Likes

Looks like it’s Cactus Blue Motel this Saturday: https://twitter.com/Sargent/status/1255231376254697473

2 Likes

That’s the plan! I’m also intending to continue the series for a while.

And thanks for mentioning this here. I’m bad about getting the word out. So let me fix that! The weekly streams happen on Saturdays at 4 pm Eastern. After they’re done, I move a copy to a YouTube playlist.

5 Likes

1 Like

This came up on finishing reading Mike Russo’s Cragne Manor Let’s Play, losing the link and searching the forum. I’m wondering if it would be useful to have a repository of all sorts of let’s plays, as a reference for someone who might want to do them themselves? I’d certainly like to see more, and I’m glad I stumbled on this (looks at calendar in shock) over two years after the fact.

4 Likes

As someone who occasionally reads walkthroughs just for fun, I’d love to see more Let’s Plays for interactive fiction. I’m honestly considering doing one for an old-school game that I can’t beat on my own (like Curses), to see if the hive-mind can help, but I worry I’ll put the whole thread in an unwinnable position without realizing it.

3 Likes

I think it’d be super interesting to try a game with hard puzzles in the LP format – Cragne Manor didn’t really lend itself to that since the rooms were generally self-contained and the puzzles were reasonably easy, but yeah, from what I know of it Curses! might be tough and require a lot of off-screen backtracking – the LP format encourages keeping lots of different saves but that only takes you so far.

1 Like

Jigsaw might be a better choice than Curses for the format, since I know it has fewer “dead man walking” states (Curses has an absurd number of these thanks to the slide projector). I got some way into it, long ago, but never close to finishing.

Perhaps once my latest manuscript is sent in I’ll kick that off…

2 Likes

Maybe we could add Let’s Plays as external reviews on IFDB, and tag games that have LPs?

3 Likes

I actually listed Mike Russo’s Cragne Manor in the links on IFDB - there was a Club Floyd transcript there too. And I posted a news item so it’d show on the front page for a few seconds.

The external review function is pretty great on IFDB also. A #lets-play tag is also a great idea!

5 Likes

I’ve started collecting some of the games with video LPs: https://ifdb.org/search?searchfor=tag:Let%27s%20Play

3 Likes

I agree Jigsaw would be awesome for this. The last time I played I just followed a walkthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 Like

This is a great way to play games and I’m looking forward to the upcoming Spellbreaker LP.

I really thing Curses! deserves a LP! I know it pretty well because I dived through the recreated source code and fixed a few bugs and errors. Anyway… I think I can help identifying dead states.

1 Like

Since this topic is already revived… Yesterday on Mastodon Stephen linked to the video (just out) of a Flights of Foundry panel with Tobias Buckell and Kate Heartfield about surviving long-haul projects. It was fun.

If people can guide me away from walking-dead states, I’m down to try Curses after Jigsaw (and maybe Starcross), but I’ll need at least one person with encyclopedic knowledge of what’s required for each vignette.

2 Likes