Spy intrigue

So, this seems to be a game where it should be impossible to get stuck. It’s choice-based and you have a map of nodes! But I’m still stuck. Specifically:

I’m in the rocket to the moon for the second assignment. The rocket is about to explode and the only way forward seems to be Perform Percussive Maintenance. This gives three options:
PUNCH THE MONITOR
PUNCH THE CIRCUITRY
PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE FUCKING HEAD
All of which lead to no choices. In the store node window, I just see a blue node, meaning that it’s inaccessible.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Poking around the code, it looks like you may need to attempt it more times.

Specifically:

A counter is set every time you punch something, and once it gets to 3 you get something else.

Hm…

but I think I have to press back every time, resetting the state of the game?

There’s supposed to be a link like “nothing happens” that takes you back. If not, sounds like a bug.

I don’t remember that one, but I do remember when we played it for Travis’s IF book club that the new version had a bug where it softlocked you if you chose one of the spy items, so I think I ended up flipping back and forth between the version with the pictures and the 2015 IFComp version that seemed less buggy…

If you grab the current code you should be able to pick up not too far from where you were…

Thanks, this gives me three things to try:

1. See if I can find the ‘nothing happens’ button.
  2. Try on another browser and see if that shows me the button.
  3. Edit the save code with the name of another spy item. :slight_smile: (I’m currently equipped with the Spy Bra.)
1 Like