SpringThing Review Sheet

Maybe you are to spreadsheets what physicist Wolfgang Pauli was to experimental setups. He even got this influence on empirical research attempts and equipment named after himself: The Pauli Effect.

Pauli effect - Wikipedia

4 Likes

With enough backups, thereā€™s not much that isnā€™t undoable!

When I was learning databases, I quickly learned to be even more zealous about frequent backups than with save games for the cruelest IF, because thereā€™s a lot that can go wrong with tables that absolutely is not undoable in any normal way, especially once you get into scripting. During updates on live data, certain processes required a fresh copy after every step, just in case.

So if a shared spreadsheet has versioning, itā€™s usually pretty recoverable.

3 Likes

Almost at 125 reviews :smiley: , 8 more and we will have reached an average of 5 reviews/entry/
Also @jjmcc reviewed all entries in 22 days :scream:

11 Likes

Three cheers for JJ!

10 Likes

I win! I win! In your face @DeusIrae!

Lol, not really. The authors made it so easy. Between variety, craftsmanship and raw energy, was like all downhill, no lift lines!

9 Likes

Actually my apologies @vivdunstan I apologize deeply for my oversight, and endeavor to remedy it now:

In your face Viv! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

2 more reviews needed in the Back Garden before all games have gotten at least 4 reviews each :smiley:
@aschultz your high projection at the start of the festival is coming true :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

(Supposing Iā€™m interpreting the shades of green correctly)

5 average in the Main Event, 1 short of 4 each for the Back Garden.

4 Likes

Et voila! Fourth review for Mirror is up.

Weā€™re getting good average coverage of all games. Kudos to all reviewers!

7 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s neat to see a mix of usual suspects and new reviewers chipping in!

A minimum of 5 looks very achievable. Thatā€™s (for the main event) 5 in 8 days to go, so someone out there adding 1 a day to a minimum game will push us over.

Speaking as a Back Gardener, I have to admit Iā€™m thrilled with 4 as (despite a surprisingly long postmortem planned) there is only so much can be said about my game, so Iā€™m quite pleased with 4 reviews.

6 minimum in the main event seems possibly a bit much to push for. I mean, 7 have 5 and 5 games have 4, meaning a total of 17 reviews for those games specifically, so unless someone swoops in or is sitting on a lot of big thoughts, I think 5 will be the minimum.

I mean itā€™s a possibility if people who tested the game post after the comp. If that counts, I have stuff to say about Repeat the Ending, for instance, but itā€™s kind of tangential. And I do feel slightly uncomfortable with making non-technical comments during the event, even favorable ones, since my work is in the pool!

Hooray for milestones and the people who work to push us over them!

ETA: total averages
Main event = 116/21 = 10 away from 6 (looks very likely indeed!)
Back garden = 21/5 = 4 away from 5
Total = 137/26 = 19 away from 6

7 Likes

With the SpringThing ending tomorrow, I donā€™t think we will see more than one or two reviews before the festival ends. Thereā€™s an average of 5.5 reviews per game, with only 8 games/26 being below that average.
Unless one of us missed linking a review, there are still 5 games in the front garden away from getting 5 reviews.

7 Likes

Iā€™d like to sneak in one or two over the weekends. And maybe beta testers will have something to say about the entries they tested. So I might leave the review sheet open a bit longer!

Also, not sure if Rovarssonā€™s review of Lady Thalia counts as a review, or a general ā€œdang, I wish I had more time to get to this one.ā€ But if it does, that numberā€™s down to 4.

3 Likes

Rovarsson extensively tested Lady Thalia 3 and gave us quite a lot of feedback privately, so I think thatā€™s actually the beginning of ā€œplaytesters thoughtsā€ rather than full reviews. (Iā€™m very happy with it regardless of category!!)

4 Likes

Well, it looks like there are going to be a few post-comp reviews. I have a few lined up, andā€“well, itā€™s great to have Mike Russo back after some unexpected life stuff!

Iā€™m not sure if these reviews should be added to the spreadsheet or not. I noticed the topic was unpinned. But Iā€™d still like to write a few more and post them to IFDB, and maybe others will, too.

Perhaps we can see how many trickle in until the end of the month?

4 Likes

I would count the late reviews still as SpringThing personally. That would be nice to see some more!
(i think the pin is gone because another post was pinned instead).

5 Likes

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post reviews! I really appreciated the opportunity to hear all of your thoughts about the entries this year. It always makes every experience of a game feel like a conversation.

I would just like to take a quick moment to encourage everyone who wrote reviews to please consider posting them to IFDB. Now that the festival is ending, posting your reviews to IFDB blesses future players with the richness of the conversations weā€™ve shared. I know it might be a little tedious, but it really means a lot for both authors and players!

13 Likes

100% agreed. I really appreciated each review as being fair and constructive. Thank you!

7 Likes

Lol, you would think having been through this once, I would have better anticipated this.

I for one am curious to see what future players make of ā€˜Spice Girlā€™ ratings!

10 Likes

On reflection, I think itā€™s a serious point that authors who write more than a certain number of reviews (or reviews of a certain quality) should have a chance to give a general overview for a competition on IFDB, and Iā€™m not sure IFDB has that mechanism, yet!

I donā€™t know how much of a feature request it would be, and itā€™d probably mean additional work for a moderator to make sure each post is relatively relevant, but itā€™d be nice to have there!

I mean, we have external links and all, which I think are valid for competitions, but having everything in one place would be a handy convenience.

4 Likes

I had time, and wonderment, and discussion, and love for Thalia, and intimate knowledge of the museum back-rooms.

I decided to write a love-letter across the digital realm to Thalia.

I really hope her authors can send it through to her.

(Maybe Fran could be the intermediate?)

4 Likes