Spring Thing 2022 General Discussion

Just finished Filthy Aunt Mildred. Pretty linear, but what it lacks in interactivity it certainly makes up for in storytelling. Horrible, in a good way. I’d recommend it if you’re looking for something entertaining to read.

7 Likes

Can anyone help me with the 8th anagram in Tours Roust Torus?

All right so we’re not supposed to give reviews as authors, I think, so I’m just gonna do vague recommendations and I guess not talk about the games too much. Anyways, here’s some recommendations from stuff I tried and think is interesting or good:

Fairest is excellent, good even if you’re lukewarm on parser;
Bigfoot Bluff is very funny, if you like parser;
Tours Roust Tours is exactly the kind of game I don’t like (heavy puzzler) but I can respect that it’s probably fun for those who do like it;
The Box if you like puzzles - it runs on a custom engine which is a hyperlink/parser hybrid and seems like a nifty showcase game;
You, Me, and Coffee for novelty, aesthetic, and shortness;
Phenomena is a fun, novel way (to me) to do poetry, also short;
Computerfriend I will recommend unreservedly;
New Year’s Eve, 2019 as well;
Thief of a Thousand Suns is interesting for presentation and setting (consciously Shakespearean), otherwise maybe less so;
Sweet Pea has strong writing, a good aesthetic, and fun text effects;
fix it uses the medium well, despite being in the crowded genre of games about distress;
Ma Tiger’s Terrible Trip because it’s my game and I think it’s good! It’s one of the very few multiplayer IF games extant.

8 Likes

Can you put it in spoilers? I don’t remember which one’s the 8th and also, I think you can tackle them in any order, right? Or are you talking about the one where the center is talking to you after you do all the others?

1 Like

The center one, yes. Is that not the 8th one? Maybe I missed something.

1 Like

I don’t know if i’ll end up doing an official review, but so far Manifest No has really blown me away. one of my favorite IFs I’ve played, ever.
I beta tested Ma Tiger and New Year’s Eve and they’re both great (albeit totally different) games. Ma Tiger’s Terrible Trip is action packed and imo groundbreakingly interactional (are either of those words?), and New Year’s Eve 2019 is just softly brilliant, with detail packed into every corner.

6 Likes

Speaking of Tours Roust Torus…

I’m clueless trying to get to the center, stuck at You’re in the middle of some sort of sideways dance right now. Maybe after you do it right, you can go inside.. help?

1 Like

Oh man, I’m so excited for Manifest No - Queenlash was one of my two favorite games of last year so I’m really looking forward to seeing Kaemi’s follow up. I have a lot of non-IF stuff going on right now, so I’m intentionally playing the back garden last so I have motivation to power through!

8 Likes

That’s a wise choice! yeah, Manifest No is a treat, if you liked Queenlash (which I haven’t yet played, but I checked out its IFDB page today so I’m pretty much an expert) you should enjoy it.

4 Likes

Oho…I’ve just discovered Wry.

You’re an insurance salesman waiting for a celebrity Baroness in a sitting room. Then you notice a painting is crooked. I love farce (such as Alias: The Magpie) and the prose is great:

>x pen
An heirloom from your grandfather. When you were a little child, he once told you that the fountain pen had already been to extraordinary places. When you asked him to show you where on the globe, he just laughed. You took it apart last night, cleaned it and filled it with fresh ink. Just to make sure that it will do its job properly today.

>read magazine
You flip through one of the rags, looking for the cover story. Ah, there it is:

Oh! “Baroness Valerie flashes knickers” - the photo is very blurry. Actually, you can only make out that someone is getting out of a limousine. Could be anyone.

Did you really want to know this? Nevertheless, the Baroness seems more familiar to you now.

[Your score has just gone up by one point.]

8 Likes

Is it this “Noon? No! No!”? If so The answer is two letters.

Is it unclear what you need to do, or how you’d do it? Try Moving one or more tiles across the torus and see if that gives a hint?

2 Likes

Oh my gosh. I love this. It’s making me doubt that I understand English at times, and then I’m like what? I’m enjoying poetry??

5 Likes

It’s kind of alarming to take in all at once, but focus on any individual sentence and it blooms with meaning and beauty (or bleakness). It’s really wonderful.

5 Likes

The last thing I did was the two-letter response to Noon? No! No!. Now I’m “already in the process of going on.” and can’t move anywhere else.

Edited: never mind, think I have it.

2 Likes

I played this and enjoyed it - as far as it went. The story seems to stop a bit abruptly with this line: Wherever they’re from, I know where they’re going. I’m not sure if this is actually the end or if I’m just being thick and another branch would yield more (although I’ve looked and I can’t find another way through)? NB this isn’t so much the fault of the author as my own lack of subtlety in requiring a big fat THE END at the conclusion of a story, before I can comfortably move on.

2 Likes

I passed the link for Manifest No to one of my author friends who has never been able to get into IF, but she’s also a huge poetry author and fan and I thought she’d dig this. She responded “Wow. What incredible use of language!”

8 Likes

That’s where I was stopped too. Looking at the squiffy code, I think the game has a bug here; there should be a link in this node at “the bushes”. This section is well before the halfway point of the story. Here’s a fixed version (I just changed a line in story.js).

externoon_fixed.zip (77.9 KB)

There might be other errors, idk.

6 Likes

Thanks very much! I’ll carry on with it then.

1 Like

pinkunz wandering aimlessly around on a sunny day, whistling while lost in thought when suddenly…boom! crash!“Who left that lying around here!? …oooh, this looks interesting…” —pinkunz continues on his way, nose scraped and bleeding but happy to have found new purpose in life–

3 Likes

Like browsing in a bookshop, I like to read the first paragraph of something before I commit. To see if those first few sentences still tingle in my brain a few hours/days later.

2 Likes