Spring Thing 2022 General Discussion

I think it’s most important to have something to obsessively refresh now that obsessively refreshing email (to see if the competition has gone live) is over.

8 Likes

The first day is often like that. I always “hummingbird” all the entries and look at the first page/presentation without playing just to get an idea of what I want to play.

5 Likes

That’s an interesting idea! If I’d have thought of it before release I’d have probably put something up, but building it might take some time.

Well that FAQ’s a bit awkwardly noncommital. I’d really like to be doing short-form reviews but, I suppose to be safe I’ll hold off.

Anybody doing that would be real disappointed because all my game does is ask you to host or join a game.

But that’s crucial information I need to know about your game, so not a fail in any way.

1 Like

For the multiplayer game in last year’s IF Comp, folks started a thread to coordinate finding partners - that might be a good thing to do again and presumably getting a link to the thread added to the blurb would be easy…

1 Like

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 7.48.50 PM

1 Like

Thanks to @kaemi for uploading the comp games to ifdb!

15 Likes

All the entries now have the Spring Thing 2022 tag, so you can generate your own randomized play order through this link.

13 Likes

Is there any general topic for reviews or I can post them here?

5 Likes

Most people create a separate thread for their own reviews, but I don’t see why you can’t post them here instead!

5 Likes

Has anyone taken a look at Externoon by nune? I thought it looked promising, but the link isn’t working for me

1 Like

Hmm, it’s working for me – have you downloaded and unzipped the file?

1 Like

Ahh, no, just tried “play online”, will do!

1 Like

For anyone still deciding what game to play first (or play next) I recommend Super Mega Tournament Arc.

I just finished playing - took me around 2 hours, but then again, I’m a slow reader - and I’m in absolute awe at this creator’s first twine game. The writing is solid, the game is memorable, and the atmosphere is palpable.

I’ll be writing a nice personal review on this one and it’s a definite reccomendation without giving away too much.

4 Likes

I just finished writing a review for SMTA (for post-festival release). I strongly second this recommendation. I loved the atmosphere through-out the game, @groggydog !

4 Likes

Thank you! I feel a bit silly for not knowing IFDB could do that. Last year I just used a numbered list and Random.org, but this is less work.

5 Likes

Adrift is a first game from the Comp I finished. It is about soviet cosmonaut who drifted in outer space. We have to get him back on Buran spaceship. Time is limited because of oxygen shortage. The game has nice pixel art, few little puzzles, and strange use of Russian words. It will take your lunch break or less. I definitely would like to see the part 2.

8 Likes

You’re not the only long-time user who was unaware of it. I’m guessing the feature was added and we both just scrolled past the updates.

Also, I keep forgetting about random.org, and it’s amazing how long it’s been there and how much it can do for free and how much (IIRC) it’s grown over the years.

4 Likes

Thank you kindly for playing and reviewing my game! :grinning: I appreciate the comments regarding the pixel art! I will "@johnbrown " you when I update the game to a post-comp version and when I complete the story with a part 2. As for the inclusion of Russian words, and name-dropping the Buran amongst other things, I was hoping to nudge a casual google search or two from some of the players. There’s some fascinating history (including espionage, political intrigue, execution, and bankruptcy in regards to the Buran Space Shuttle for example) and I’d love to send someone down a rabbit hole or two.

6 Likes

Currently playing through You, Me and Coffee and trying to get all the endings and figure out what’s going on with these two characters! I don’t think I’ve read an IF in Bitsy before, and would try it myself if I were more graphically-oriented …

3 Likes