Spike's IFComp 2020 Reviews

Yes, this is my first time experiencing IFComp from the player’s side - I’ve been an author up until now! I’m enjoying it so far - and looking forward to reading your reviews as well.

4 Likes

Here’s my review of Flattened London.

2 Likes

Just posted on my blog a review of Academic Pursuits (As Opposed to Regular Pursuits).

3 Likes

My review of Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

2 Likes

Another review: This one is for Big Trouble in Little Dino Park.

1 Like

Over on the big games thread I promised to take up Little Girl in Monsterland’s challenge of a fifteen-hour game experience. Well, I did: I played it for two hours and then rated it. But by then I was sucked in. And so I kept playing - for many more hours - until I completed it.

I now present… my review of Little Girl in Monsterland.

3 Likes

I’m so glad to see you liked my game and even felt compelled to complete it! Thank you so much! I’m really touched :slight_smile:. Thank you for understanding the user interface, and having the patience to get used to it.

I’m aware some jokes are borderline, and I am a bit embarassed by that myself :sweat_smile:. (in my defense, you can’t imagine those I deleted :sweat_smile:) Some of the jokes probably lost something in the translation, but that was the best I could do. Also sorry for the irreligiosity of some jokes – but Dracula is who he is. :sweat: Also, sorry for the typos you mention – I’ll fix them as soon as I find them!

Thanks a lot for being the first one to complete my game and for your kind words!

As a token of gratitude, I’ve promoted your user to graphic mode, so if you login now you can play with graphics (only the first half, as the second half isn’t ready yet). :slight_smile: . Here is a sample of what you’ll see: do you recognize the locations? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yo that’s gorgeous, the backgrounds are exquisite.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Keep them in mind or get back to them while you play :slight_smile: They might add to the atmosphere :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! rgoodness is right; those are gorgeous. (And I do recognize all those locations. :grinning:) I’ll have to replay in the new graphics mode to check it out.

2 Likes

O.K. - I’ve now played through some of the early parts of the graphical version of the game. Those scenes really are gorgeous; thank you for granting me access!

Gameplay feels somewhat different now, with the point-and-click interface as opposed to the choice-based menu options. It does seem to run somewhat more slowly now, too - I suppose it just takes more time to load those images.

You used the Uffizi as the model for the exterior of the museum, right?

Thanks again for the access to the graphic version!

1 Like

Yep. :slight_smile: This is the location you are talking about:

It’s true, the game is a bit slower when you change location, due to the graphics. You still have the map to move quickly though. :slight_smile:

Thanks again man :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some thoughts on A Rope of Chalk.

Added: After thinking about this game some more, I wrote a second review. The link is the same as before, and the original review appears at the bottom of the second one.

3 Likes

Phew!

3 Likes

My review of Captivity is now on my blog.

3 Likes

A review of Lovely Assistant: Magical Girl.

(Added: I’ve been made aware that the most recent update to Lovely Assistant: Magical Girl - made while I was finishing up the original version - fixes some of the problems I note in my review.)

3 Likes

And now for a review of… Tombs & Mummies.

One thing of note: The game’s blurb says it takes two hours to play; I think one hour is a better estimate.

2 Likes

Creatures: a review.

The last several games I played and reviewed partly because, at the time I played them, they had no other public reviews. I’m going to take a break from that selection heuristic for a bit to finish and then review several of the games we looked at during Sunday’s Seattle IF meetup.

One of those was Alone, by Paul Michael Winters.

3 Likes

Mike, thanks for the great review. You hit it right on the head that this game was inspired by my anxieties from the past year and I thought a lot of people might be able to relate to that. I’m glad to hear it’s resonating, at least for some. If anything, I’m surprised there aren’t more pandemic inspired entries this year.

Also thanks for the feedback about the implementation. I did have a few beta testers who were excellent, but I clearly need to have the discipline to finish my game with enough time to have multiple iterations of testing. The positive feedback I’ve gotten this year will certainly give me motivation to have an nice polished work for next year.

3 Likes