SpeedIF

Does SpeedIF still happen, where a number of mostly random objects/themes are offered up and authors are given a few hours/day or two to come up with bite sized entries?

I recall enjoying spending short bursts of time going through the entries, including participating in one of them.

Admittedly, I have not performed an exhaustive search in finding this answer, so feel free to point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
– Mike

I think SpeedIF should definitely be a thing again. Get lots of people a goal and a short amount of time to do it in, helps people prioritise, cut down on feature creep, and gets people to actually release a game. Since no one expects a masterpiece, expectations are low - and so is the stress and the necessity to make a finely-crafted and polished entry.

I think it’s been sort of replaced by other comps, though. Especially EctoComp, which retains the SpeedIF spirit (and which regularly gets a lot of attention and turnout). It’s just Something That Happened.

You need a calm period for enough people to gather, write, and discuss. We don’t get those too often with everyone having real jobs, spouses, kids, and real life.

It would be nice though.

If you want to run a SpeedIF or find interest for one, I’d recommend joining ifMUD and asking around on the appropriate channels if there is any interest, and then launching one through there. I haven’t seen or heard any happen in a while, I think most people are too busy to start one, but there may be interest.