Spaceformacs: Authoring in Inform7 with [Spac]Emacs

Recently I’ve been doing some work on Vimform7, by @interactivefiction, and I happened upon Spacemacs again while working on it.
Spacemacs is a lovely configuration distribution for the Emacs operating system, and you may want to use it rather than Vim.
I have not worked at creating a layer or package for Emacs, and I’m not want to do so either (at least not at the moment). I have however, spent a little time configuring my Emacs with Spacemacs and Inform7, and with inclusions from Vimform7 a similar IDE is made teneble.
You can get started in Spaceformacs (though it’s a bit more breezy on Linux, actually) by following these steps:

1. Install Emacs through your Linux distributions package manager or graphical software repository.
  2. Clone the Spacemacs GitHub repository to your ~/.emacs.d/ folder, as instructed on their website.
  3. Enable org mode by editing your .spacemacs configuration file and uncommenting the respective line under the dotspacemacs-configuration-layer heading.
  4. Follow the breadcrumbs in an Emacs org file I have zipped and included with this post. Mind the self-promotion, and remember that this is duct-taped together at the moment, but is actually quite usable :adhesive_bandage:.
    Spacemacs_Inform7.zip (2.2 KB)

If I put in the work to create a ‘distribution’ of Spaceformacs, I’ll upload it here with some better documentation than is found in the attached org file.

2020-07-27T06:00:00Z: I’ve got an itch. I want to do some more work on this, and when I have the time to write the documentation (and possibly a couple ELisp files) I’ll update this post further. For now, the duct-taped org file should satiate the endeavouring Vim user and the aspiring Emacs saint.

Two helpful things: base Spacemacs, eww-layer, and Inform7-mode are what you’ll need to replicate the Vimform7 ‘environment’; understanding a little of Vimform7, such as where it’s files are and where your own files may be, is helpful until I modify the Inform7-mode to have it’s own commands to allow anyone to use Spaceformacs with ease.

Please ask questions, but your ever-lit lamp will be documentation and curiosity.

2 Likes

Warning

This is very old, and I don’t recommend it. I am now working on a Java-based IDE, which will work with every platform and should be much easier to install on both old and new platforms. If it can run Java, it should run Informal, if the project ever comes to light.

I recommend you use the Flatpak-bundled GNOME IDE if your system supports Flatpak, and Vimform7 otherwise.

1 Like