Songbird Editor - New free Unity based IF creation tool

Hello, I’d like to take a moment of your time introduce a personal project of mine that I’ve been working on for the past few months.

Songbird Editor is a new add-on for Unity designed with versatility and ease of use in mind. It is a true no code solution that allows people to create fully functional games without learning a programming language and easily build them into applications that can be published on all kinds of platforms including PC, mobile, web and even consoles if somebody’s feeling very fancy, but at the same time can work as a good framework for people with some coding skills wanting to make their IFs truly unique.

The system entered open beta earlier this month and is completely free to download and use for personal and noncommercial projects now and forever. Development is still on track and done with a focus on community feedback as much as possible. My ultimate end goal is to put a professional grade but also user friendly tool in the hands of authors as well as use the resources gathered through it to perhaps offer help with publishing to those who aren’t savvy enough or just don’t have the resources to self publish. Maybe even find a way to help them with getting in touch with editors and artists interested in cooperating, but I’m getting a bit ahead of myself.

(here I’d put a link to it for anyone interested as well as attach some screenshots to show it better, but I currently am not allowed to ¯\ (ツ)/¯ )

I hope I am not breaking any rules by promoting myself in this way as my introduction, but word of mouth like this is the only real way for me to promote what I’m doing and I do believe in Songbird’s potential to bring something new to the medium and open it up to more people.

8 Likes

How is this done? I know Unreal has blueprints; is there a similar thing in Unity that you are tapping into?

1 Like

Looks like it’s here? https://www.aokotorigames.com/

2 Likes

I’ve built special editor windows that allow for building pages and setting up choices lego style by pressing buttons and filling up text fields. Then everything related to actually compiling those elements is automated by Songbird’s page builder. In reality the closest an author gets to “coding” is writing if conditions like int > 5 or mini commands to alter variables like health - 2 and even that I am planning on simplifying in the future based on feedback.

Yep that’s it.

2 Likes