Son of Shufflecomp 2015: seeking an organiser.

Unwarranted Sequel Comp wherein everyone makes an ersatz sequel to an otherwise beloved work of IF. [emote]:?:[/emote]

YES.

Photopia II: The Photopening

(The above YES meant “Yes this is a hilarious suggestion” not “Yes I actually want to do this.”)

See also: ways to awaken Adam Cadre from his fathoms-deep slumber, the wrecked hulls of long-drowned ships sliding down his glabrous hide as he unleashes his ancient vengeance upon the world.

OK now I do want to do this.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

Except all the entries would be by Adam Thornt-- excuse me, One of the Bruces.

(see: In the End II, Stiffy Makane TUC)

Actually, Adam is himself responsible for Jigsaw 2.

I’m both entertained and horrified by “everybody make a sequel”.

I kind of like the sequel idea as well, but I’d be afraid that some, or even many, people will not be happy with the sequel to their game. Isn’t there a copyright issue as well? And if the answer is “the sequel will be barely recognizable as related to the original game,” what is the point?

Besides, I would like to, if possible, keep the ShuffleComp name and its protocol: provide a random list of x to authors, and ask authors to choose n number of items from said list. I don’t think this will work where x is eight games.

Neil

To my understanding, the name Shufflecomp would only be used where we’re talking about using the same rules from last year - collect and distribute music, make games based on them, etc.

We’re talking about other possibilities for all kinds of other mid-sized comps, and using the “Son of Shufflecomp” label to talk about those possibilities because Shufflecomp was a mid-sized comp.

The copyright thing would technically be a concern - games have been hammered on weaker grounds before, though in practice I think you could adhere to something like the Comp’s fanfic standards and be fine.

Yeah, I think the make-a-sequel idea would have to be ‘make a sequel for whatever IF you like.’ I think the random-list-of-X is a great technique in general, but wouldn’t be right for this.

I’m happy people liked the Unwarranted Sequel Comp idea, but I was just throwing it out there. I, too, would like to see an official (music-oriented) Shufflecomp 2: Eclectic Bugaboo

Hmm, is Meme Comp a possibility? Done right, a text adventure based on the adventures of Scumbag Steve or Bad Luck Brian would be quite funny, but on the other hand, memes could get offensive…or repetitive, if a game gets too big.

I’m familiar with so few memes and I’m still laughing at the O Rly bird and crasher squirrel.

That’s okay. Sometimes the old jokes are the best. Plus, it could totally be a cultural learning experience! People might discover a meme they didn’t know they’d like!

That might be more Speed-IF territory. I strongly want the medium-sized comp to be a thing where doing a Serious Game is a reasonable possibility, even if most people choose not to do so and that’s fine.

(Not that it’s impossible to make a Serious Game based on memes, but I suspect it’d… weigh against it.)

I will create a game about Firefox having a problem with windows. It will be super serious, with many foxes, many windows, and a doge.

…okay, you’re right. Camelot is a silly place.

I think what I meant by “skills” in this case is something like “fun facts about molluscs” or “how to read a laundry label” so not necessarily difficult but something that people might not already know. Bite-sized things, that could then have whatever amount of story around them that the author wants.

Mostly off topic: 20 fun facts about hex grids!

…I’m astonished that anyone came up with 20 fun facts about hex grids. (They really are kind of cool.)

Okay. I figured I was way off-base with my definition of “skills.” I just wasn’t sure if it was the player or the author that needed to do the learning, and I didn’t want authors to need to learn a lot of complicated things or coding techniques. I also like the idea of learning something new via a game. I guess we’ll see if it has any more traction …

Neil