Some gamebook adaptations in ZIL

Hi,

I’ve been adapting some game books into z-machine story files for the past 2 months, mostly from the Virtual Reality Adventure book series. They were part of efforts to study the ZIL language and to provide a proof of concept that other types of interactive fiction can be done in it.

1. Green Blood by Mark Smith and Dave Morris
  2. Down Among the Dead Men by Dave Morris
  3. Necklace of Skulls by Dave Morris
  4. Secret of the Knights by Jim Gasperini

The last one is part of the Time Machine book series of Choose Your Own Adventures.

Although, I’ve gone through the code lots of times (links in their individual IFDB pages), it is still possible that I still missed some bugs may, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope you fine folks enjoy these :slight_smile:

Additional Notes:

Save and Restore functionality is available. Press using S or R keys to save or restore your game during action selection.
PS.

I’ve gotten permission form Dave Morris to release the Virtual Reality Adventures. If they decide to go commercial, these will be withdrawn. I am still in the process of reaching out to Jim Gasperini.

11 Likes

We’ve discussed packaging up the maps and art as a feelies PDF, I still endorse that plan.

And I’d also love to see an attempt to bash the awesomely terrible Virtual Reality Adventure logo into ASCII (well, ZSCII but you get my point) and optionally display it at the start of the game, but that is a perverse wish at best. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll try to scan some full-page art and do my best “desktop publishing/graphic artist” impersonation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Necklace of Skulls, while in the merchant interface (093), I can get some helper screens like C and I, but not ?/H. (Hitting one of those keys seems to just be treated like a bad keypress and brings up the “you can buy anything you have money for” list again.)

Is that intentional?

1 Like

Sounds like a bug. I will look into that. Thanks for catching this.

1 Like

Also looks like I isn’t documented in the README.

1 Like

Hi,

I made the following fixes:

• Added Restore option during character selection
  • Documented ‘I’ (inventory) command key in-game and in README
  • Pressing keys that are not among the available options should no longer trigger a response, except for situations where H (help), I (inventory), C (character) are applicable

@jcompton I really appreciate you taking the time to test these and for the numerous suggestions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

Just to let anyone interested know, that the last of the Virtual Reality Adventure gamebook that I possess, Heart of Ice has been adapted to ZIL

Check it out at IFDB:
Heart of Ice by Dave Morris

ZIL source code at:
https://github.com/daelsepara/heart-of-ice

I hope you fine folks enjoy this one. Cheers!

8 Likes

Missing Coils of Hate and Twist of Fate? What can we do to put them in your hands?

1 Like

… I’m not having any kind of luck tracking down local sources so I electronic versions, pdf or epubs would be nice.

For now, I’m looking at Stuart Lloyd’s update/fixes to Coils of Hate that he has published for free as a PDF.

For Twist of Fate, I may have have more luck with ‘Once upon a time in Arabia’ Critical IF.

1 Like

Maybe Dave Morris has copies he’d be willing to scan or part with?

1 Like

Added another Time Machine gamebook adaptation:

Github Repository: GitHub - daelsepara/sail-with-pirates: Sail with Pirates (Time Machine 04)

For anyone interested.

I hope you are all doing well, fine folks.

6 Likes

Right back at you. Thank you for your efforts here!

1 Like

On a related note, Dave Morris and Steve Foster recently made available the unpublished Quilled ZX Spectrum text adventure version of Dave’s White Dwarf magazine gamebook The Castle of Lost Souls. The articles were later used as a basis for the Golden Dragon gamebook.

3 Likes

Thanks, I added Sail with Pirates to my collection of game book games for Commodore computers: Public - Google Drive

2 Likes

Hi,

Adding another book in the Virtual Reality Adventures ZIL Adaptation. This time, it’s book #3: Coils of Hate.

Coils of Hate (IFDB Page)

It’s taken a long time to release this. Right about the time I started working on this in 2021, I caught COVID. I was hospitalized for eight days and was unconscious for the first two. Unfortunately, my twin brother also caught the virus but he did not survive. Dealing with the tragedy has been extremely difficult even after three years. The book’s subjects, being a thinly veiled reference to a group of people that’s on the news nowadays, also made me hesitate even now.

I do not wish to cause anyone undue stress. For myself, working on this and bringing it to completion was a way of coping with my great loss.

Thanks for the support and appreciation of my past work. I hope all of you are doing well, fine folks.

9 Likes

The words will seem paltry, but condolences regardless. Good for you for seeing it through. I hope it brought you some catharsis.

4 Likes

@daelsepara Sorry to hear that. My condolences, even if it is already 3 years ago.

I’vee seen two point and click adventures dealing with grief. So why not an IF?

4 Likes