Slouching

I was looking at the slouching example in the recipe book and one thing I’d like to change is the text that appears after the room name when you look and you are, for example, sitting somewhere.

For example, from the slouching example:

Which rule do I need to alter the “(on the stone bench)” text? I want to change it to something more descriptive, for example: “(sitting on the stone bench)”.

Just from a quick glance, is this what you’re looking to do?

The description of The Resort is "[if the holder of the player is the stone bench](sitting on stone bench)[end if]".

That parenthetical remark is one of the slightly bothersome outputs to change in standard Inform.

It’s a library message (looking action #8) printed by the room description heading rule (from the carry out looking rulebook). You should be able to replace the message using the extension Default Messages by Ron Newcomb.

Thanks Felix, while searching for that extension I also came across room description headings by Erwin Genstein which looks like it’ll do exactly what I need with a little more syntactic sugar on top. So I’ll try that one out.

Yeah, the room description headings works a treat. I added these lines to the slouching example in the recipe book:

Rule for printing an enclosure preposition when the posture of the player is seated:
	say "sitting on ".

Rule for printing an enclosure preposition when the posture of the player is standing:
	say "standing on ".

Rule for printing an enclosure preposition when the posture of the player is reclining:
	say "lying on ".

Great! I was not aware of that extension, but I’ll download it. It’s obviously useful.