Skybreak!

I was one of the beta testers so I hope it’s okay to make this thread, but I was just curious how many people have been able to mess around with Skybreak so far, and what kinds of stories are you making?

I’m still trying out different character builds even now. I seem to keep coming back to a couple of favorites and spend all my time exploring ruins and dealing with cultists and dark gods, or else I go full Star Trek and become overwhelmed by a powerful need to scan every rock. I’m about to start a Starfarer right now in BADASS MODE just to force myself to shake things up. And I’ll probably die pretty quickly because I’m not very good at space combat, and in regular mode have been relying heavily on undo to cheese fights…but this is the last of the storyline backgrounds and it’s supposed to be the hardest, so it’s about time I check it out. And learn how to reliably win in space combat.

Anyway, I wanted to make this thread not just because it’s a fun game, but because I seem to have been having quite a bit of luck using it as a gateway drug for people new to IF and I think others might too.

It’s fun and pulpy space adventure with a background of unknowable things beyong the edge of the Night, it’s got the light RPG and strategy elements, it’s in a few ways reminiscent of Fallen London, and the CYOA style menu choices make it easy to pick up and play. All of that equals being of interest to a major cross section of people. (I understand the author has even had success getting his parents to play…)

We have a little chat thread going about it on ChooseYourStory. (http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/25801) and everyone that’s been introduced there or in our Discord has gone through a period of obsession.

It looks a little like this, and yes, I am worried for her:

(yes I had permission to post those)

And while I’ve personally had ulterior motives in trying to use it to get more people interested in trying ADRIFT as well, once IF of any kind clicks with someone new it’s not like they stop with just one game or stick to just one system.

Anyway, I’m off to unite some warring clans or whatever Starfarers do, or maybe just mine asteroids awhile in between visiting the elves in their city under the ice.

1 Like

HURAY FOR GOLBINS
Have been playing with the same character on badass mode for a combined total of…eleven hours. I actually had the opportunity to win, but decided to keep playing. My character is a CHAD. (He’s trying his best!)

3 Likes

Oh, yeah. And I don’t play a lot of games and typically have a very hard time focusing on most things for very long at all.
So Skybreak! is pretty awesome.

1 Like

A couple of people wrote fanfic in the Skybreak thread on CYS, I asked them if I could paste it here because I loved them both:

Posted by Gower:

Dr. Paul Pothelwaite, genius, biologist, archaeologist, space-based scholar–according to his business card–perched on a low bit of vaguely horizontal rock on the potato-shaped rock that he had discovered. It was his planetoid, one of several that he had discovered.

He was naming them after various minor Trojan heroes in the Iliad. This one was Dolon. The next would be Glaucus. He hummed and smiled and made a brief–no, a medium–no, to hell with it, a very long entry in Logbook #346 about the mineral composition of this bit of Dolon. A slight irregularity of color. They will be most interested when he returns to Skybreak to offer a brief talk at the Academy of Cosmic Lore.

Web, his top-hatted and impatient graduate student, paced, raising some dust. “Are you done? Are you done?”

“I am still observing. You shall never attain your degree if you are impatient. We are taking in the galaxy. We are seeing its wonders and distilling a bit of its knowledge for later scholars to quaff. Catching a speck of all there is to know, like a grain of pollen caught in amber.”

“I’m not a graduate student, for the fiftieth time,” Web said, thumbing the edge of his stiletto in his pocket. It would be so easy to…

“Think of the treasure we’ve collected so far,” Dr. Pothelwaite said.

“You left behind that silver at the bottom of the lake.”

“First of all, it was lithium.”

“Still valuable! You left it behind to take a picture of some statues.”

“What a wonder that was,” Dr. Pothelwaite said. “Precious elements are essentially eternal. But a photograph is a unique artifact.”

Web took off his top hat and affected his most silver-tongued attitude. “Listen, I know a particular heist we could pull off. It would be so easy to…”

“No, no need, my aspiring professorial friend. I have already here the greatest treasure a man could want.”

If he says ‘knowledge’ I really will stab him.

Dr. Pothelwaite stroked the shining green beetle that he had found in the swamps of Noog and who had ridden on his shoulder ever since. “I have your devoted companionship, Web.”

“You paid me!”

“Regardless.”

“I steal from you regularly!”

“I know. It says ‘genius’ on my business card. But without you to share my discoveries with as I make them, this would all be somehow empty. Come, Web. Let us see if we can find a blue beetle. Oh, this galaxy is so vast, and full of so many little scholarly delights. Do not gnaw your fingers like that, Web. Come!”

Posted by puddlebunni:

I decide to stop worrying so much when the stars start melting into each other.

I try for another deep breath but it feels like I’m sucking in nothing at this point, the green glow of my oxygen meter having switched to emergency red about 30 minutes ago. Or longer. I tap at the meter on my visor in empty hopes of a glitch or something. Heh, who am I kidding. I’m as good as gone. Maybe got another 20 minutes in me. Can’t really tell much of what’s going on when there’s no sunset or sunrise and everything is jet black. Really, this planet is crazy. It’s like a pebble in a void.

Don’t get smart with me, kiddo. “Aren’t most planets pebbles in the void if you think about it?” Well, of course but this one is so flat and so empty that the only thing left is the sky above, which is black. Just stars. The stars don’t look hopeful. They just make you feel smaller than anything else, and they’re so far away their light is more like specs of maybes and loneliness.

I’ve spent my whole life in the cosmos. I’ve never felt lonelier.

I’m on my back, the specs of those maybe stars shifting from milky to blinding to gone in an infinite cycle of brain melting eye strain. I can’t get much of my thoughts together, now. Though there is fuzzy little click. I squint as a string of purple letters fly through the corner of my visor. It’s like a punch to the stomach. Honey.

_HELLO MARVY OH NO OH IT LOOKS LIKE YOU SUSTAINED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO YOUR SUIT WOULD YOU LIKE ASSISTANCE?

Poor Honey. I can only imagine how worried she must be. But I don’t think I can smooth talk my way outta this one

“What can you do?” I mouth, weakly.

There’s quite the pause before the purple letters sheepishly appear again.

_IM SORRY I DONT KNOW

Honey is a sensitive soul so I try to think of how to word things properly to make her feel better about all this, but I can’t come up with anything that will do it. I picture her numbers going wild and her screens blinking frantically, trying to whip up some kind of…Magical scientific computery equation thing that will get me un-broke and safe at home. Sue me, I ain’t a computers guy. Don’t know a thing about the techy business. I just know Honey feels things a whole lot harder than I do, even if I do got flesh and bone.

If I’d learned techy shit, maybe I wouldn’t be here.

If I’d got around to being a half-way decent pilot, I’d most certainly not be here.

Heck, even a couple of karate classes or something to build up my stamina. Give me better lungs. I should have never smoked. I should have never tried that heist. I should’ve never screwed over the Boss. I’m a sneaky bastard, I’ve got at least 6 different spaceport ID’s and more names than the galaxy’s got moons. I hop around a lot.

Honey’s the only one who gets to use my real name.

_MARVY IM SORRY TO TROUBLE YOU BUT WHEN DO YOU ESTIMATE THAT YOU WILL RETURN

Shit. Now I just feel guilty. “Not in the cards today, Hon.” I sputter weakly. “I think the tank’s pulling from the bottom now.”

_OH NO OH THATS THATS THATS IM WELL THATS NOT GOOD

_VERY NOT GOOD

_

_IM AFRAID I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS

“That’s normal.”

_THAT IS SOMEWHAT A RELIEF THEN

“A relief?”

_I THOUGHT THERE MIGHT BE AN ERROR IN MY SYSTEM

“Never change, Hon. You’re doing just fine.”

Somehow, I feel a little relieved too, like I’m doing it right. The dying thing. I’d expected to get shot down in an alley somewheres by the Kalyook or fall off a roof and break my neck during a last minute escape. I was never a big planning guy. I’d just assumed I’d be the throw away headline on yesterday’s paper, and all the time between then and that was the big leadup. Never thought I’d just disappear.

The planets empty and cold and the lines of the text are sorta blurring together but I know that my ship is writing something nice to me. I’m very cold now. My chest has got a stone in it. My ears are filled with a parade of tiny beeps.

I think about that time when I’d bandaged up some kids at this random no-place village in on of the farther Gammas. They didn’t know dirt from Adam. They’d banded together to give me a couple silver, everything they had. I never spent it. I think it’s in my pocket right noe.

On a chilly little pebble, alone, I find myself smiling at a jet black sky.

_I WANT TO SAY IM SORRY MARVY

Don’t worry about it. Damn, it’s cold.

_BUT I PROMISE I WONT FORGET YOU

It would probably be better if you did, in all honesty.

_MARVY YOUR VITALS ARE DROPPING

_MARVY

_MARVY

_AH

_

_MARVY I WANTED TO SAY

_THANK YOU FOR PRESSING Z

2 Likes

Ha, fanfic, nice! This is a great game.

I wasn’t able to make it run (locally, which apparently is recommended). Does anyone know if it’s possible to run ADRIFT games on Linux these days?

I’m not sure, but I both downloaded and played on Windows, and just now tried online, and it was a fairly similar experience. Online has just a small lag, and the map is not the disruptive.

Saving might be an issue, but ‘winning’ this game wasn’t as big a deal for me as playing. In fact, winning was really anticlimactic; it’s the experience that’s fun. I think there are a few paths that require longer play and dedication, and perhaps you should avoid those on an online playthrough.

But I hope you can get it to work on Linux first!

2 Likes

ADRIFT does not play well with mac or linux, I’m sorry to say. In theory, it should run on both, but I had a very knowledgeable friend try to run it on linux and after many hours he gave up in frustration.

The webrunner for Skybreak is not ideal because the fonts don’t necessarily carry over, but other than that,it should be fine (you can minimize the map, which as the description says is completely not useful for this game, which does not feature conventional movement.)

I’ll also say, since I’ve been getting a lot of questions to this effect: Movement in this game is triggered by typing “c” and then “l” after you do one (and only one) thing at a particular location.The whole game is

1. Do thing
  2. “C”
  3. “L”
    repeat

also, you can save in the adrift webrunner by typing “save”…the game will then shoot you a command code that you can type into the command line to make it reload a game…it won’t work during the first two commands of the game (enter your name and enter your ship’s name) because the game is trained to accept ANYTHING you type there, even things like “restart” or “status” or whatever.

2 Likes

I just did my first ‘long’ run-through, this time as an Inquisitor.

This is a difficult path! Unlike my first game, I used UNDO a lot in this one because I had no idea how difficult the challenges that faced me would be.

The description of the Inquisitor in the manual is very accurate. Focusing on a small number of skills is vital. In fact, I would STRONGLY recommend having trying to build up a 4 or higher in one of the stats that Inquisitors start out with (including their requisite Scientist stats): Biology, Astronomy, or Technology.. Also, you’ll encounter a whole lot of problems at one point if you’re not good at the complicated space battle system.

Overall, I enjoyed my second run-through even more than the first. I’m going to try an Elfin Skybreaker run now.

1 Like

Feedback suggests that Inquisitor might be the hardest background. I’m glad you’ve soldiered through. Thanks for your reviews!

1 Like

By the way, I’m playing the Skybreaker path and I keep getting my reputation with the Skybreakers set to -3 at the end of each successful mission. Is that supposed to happen? I’m an elf with skybreaker and sorcery paths.

weird…I don’t know…there are some situations which will decrease your reputation but not like…every situation. It will also clearly say like “your reputation has decreased” I just tested the first mission and it didn’t happen to me…keep me posted.

I think I can use a hint on the combat system. Just utterly failed my first combat. I have piloting 1, and the enemy ship had a difficulty of -2 and a speed of -5. I assumed that this would make everything a walk in the park! But barrel roll after barrel roll failed, none of my attacks hit, and I got shot down very soon. What am I doing wrong?

A quick combat summary:

An attack on the enemy:
[your gunnery skill]+[Enemy difficulty (usually a negative number]+[your heading modifier]: If this meets or beats a 5, you hit.

The enemy attacking you
[your pilot skill]+[enemy difficulty]+[your speed modifier]: If this meets or beats a 5, the enemy misses.

So your speed and your pilot skill make you harder to hit. Your heading and your gunnery skill make you hit the enemy. If you saw a “-5” for the speed modifier that means you were easy to hit…you’d need to speed up.

The -5 was in red and shown as part of the information about the enemy ship. So I assumed it was the enemy’s speed… But in fact it’s my speed? Is the -2 difficulty also a penalty for me, rather than a penalty for the enemy?

yes, it all modifies a roll you make.

1 Like

Definitely a fun game. I’ve posted a review of it on my blog.

So a positive modifier is always good and a negative modifier is always bad. That’s… clearly far too simple for someone like me who grew up with AD&D second edition. :upside_down_face: Thanks, back into space with me!

Oh, I should simply note for flavor purposes:

The speed is in a sense “your speed” but of course it’s your relative speed, in relation to the enemy. This has no effect on gameplay but it’s nice to know.

…also apparently earthlings got the speed of light wrong. We foolishly believe it is 299,792,458 meters per second but learned alchemists and natural philosophers know the real value of psychophasic pulse-modified light is 300,000,000 meters per second, which makes a lot of the math easier.

3 Likes

Maybe we were right about the speed of light, but we got the duration of the second wrong! :sunglasses:

5 Likes