Similarities between entries thread

We seem to have one of these every year. I’ll pick off the low-hanging fruit, the titles. Spoilers abound.

Beat Witch subsumes The Witch if we ignore articles. Similarly "All Hands on Deck subsumes All Hands without any articles. I wonder if this has happened before?

Lake Adventure and Creative Cooking are written in MagX/AGT. (MagX is very AGT-adjacent.)

Help! I Can’t Find My Glasses! and LAKE Adventure both have you trying to find your glasses as a clear goal early.

13 Likes

We’ve got two “Lake ______”, Lake Starlight and Lake Adventure.

8 Likes

“One Does Not Simply Fry” and “One King to Loot them All” are both from Lord of the Rings quotes. I sorted alphabetically and laughed when I saw them one after the other.

12 Likes

Gestures Towards Divinity and My Pseudo-Dementia Exhibition feature the same bench in their cover art!

10 Likes

It seems just from the blurbs like we have a LOT of mystery games or whodunnits.

• Antony & Cleopatra: Case IV: The Murder of Marlon Brando
  • Artful Deceit
  • Codename Obscura
  • Death on the Stormrider
  • Detective Osiris
  • Last Vestiges
  • Lunium
  • Please Sign Here
  • Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head (maybe?)
  • Who Iced Mayor McFreeze?

As someone who wrote er own “solve my own murder” game I know which one I’m gonna gun for playing next!

16 Likes
  • Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head (maybe?)

That’s accurate! Though it’s not quite a whodunit as much as a did-someone-dunit.

3 Likes

(They’re also both set in museums!)

6 Likes

At least four games about sailing though it may not be a lot out of 75 entries(?)

3 Likes

I noticed this too, and they’re both puns that hinge around replacing a word. I was like, what are the odds?! lol

4 Likes

Actually, all three titles with “One” in their name are puns (One Knight Stand being the third). You could make a stretchy generalization that all are fantasy-related puns as well.

8 Likes

I remember 2021, when we had two games that started with “4x4” (including yours @aschultz). And a game with a character named Blake Lively that had nothing to do with the actress.

It seems just from the blurbs like we have a LOT of mystery games or whodunnits. – @pieartsy

Antony & Cleopatra: Case IV: The Murder of Marlon Brando and Detective Osiris both concern Egyptian investogators no less.

10 Likes

More specifically, both Ancient Egyptian Royalty who have become investigators! Great example.

3 Likes

Oh but come on, one’s Pharonic and the other’s Ptolemaic, that’s hardly the same thing!

(It is indeed quite the coincidence! Though I haven’t found anything yet this year that’s as unlikely as the three games featuring a peristyle in 2020 - still early days, though!)

10 Likes

(It is indeed quite the coincidence! Though I haven’t found anything yet this year that’s as unlikely as the three games featuring a peristyle in 2020 - still early days, though!)

I didn’t even know what a peristyle was until I looked it up…

3 Likes

Quality architecture never goes out of–

Okay, I’ll show myself out.

7 Likes

All the way to Paris, amirite?

4 Likes

Assembly and All the Troubles Come My Way both feature IKEA furniture assembly/disassembly :smile: (although in the latter it’s optional).

4 Likes

And here I was thinking furniture assembly was a unique mechanic… :upside_down_face:

This is a very small coincidence, but here’s another quote from Assembly:

> take chair
You can barely stand to look at it.

And one from A Thing of Wretchedness:

> look at thing
You can’t even bring yourself to look at it.

Clearly establishing that the wretched thing is even more wretched than the worst chair you can imagine.

9 Likes

I’ve only played seven games, since I’m quite slow this year; they’re all parser-based.

Of those seven games, four (Dr Ludwig and the Devil, Who Iced Mayor McFreeze?, A Thing of Wretchedness, and Gestures Toward Divinity) have exactly eight locations on their maps.

7 Likes

I just started Magor, and discovered that both Magor and Prince Quisborne have a couch with stuffing coming out of a busted seam…

6 Likes