Sexy Math Jokes (possibly mildly NSFW?)

A classic:

10 Likes

I had no idea there was so much erotic potential in math!

1 Like

Some of it is culture-dependent though. The absolutely positive, primitive roots of unity only gets a sly wink in Australia, I believe.

1 Like

Try Cantor’s theory of transfinite ordinals. It can blow your mind.

2 Likes

A joke from the site I linked myself above:

To the person who invented the number zero:
Thanks for nothing!

5 Likes

Ugh, that linked website has some funny jokes on it, but whoever thought it a good idea to only show half of each joke an to require clicking a button for every joke that isn’t a one liner deserves to be slapped with a fish.

Anyways, another naughty sounding bit of maths:

The Coch curve, Coch snowflake, and Coch snowcube. They may look innocent, but that’s a German-style ch, so it sounds rather naughty when spoken. ANd in case you don’t know, they are a trio of related fractals. The Coch curve starts with a line segment, you replace the middle third with two sides of an equilateral triangle, and with each iteration, you perform this replacement on the middle third of every segment. The Coch snowflake starts with an equilateral triangle and does the same thing, being basically three copies of the curve combined(also, the first iteration of the snowflake is the perimeter of a hexagram). For the snowcube, you start with a regular tetrahedron(the shape of a d4 for anyone into polyhedral dice without knowing the names of shapes), and you add a smaller tetrahedron to the middle of each face, the first iteration being the stella octangula. It’s called a snow cube because it’s both the 3-d analog of the snowflake and because it approaches the shape of a cube
 and for the mind bendy warning, the Coch Snowflake has infinite perimeter but finite area, and the Coch Snowcube has infinite surface area, but finite volume
 Though that’s nothing compared to the Sierpinski Carpet and Menger Sponge, which have infinite perimeter and surface area, but zero area and volume.

Also, 1218839 is SEXY
 and so is 1325734.

2 Likes

Did you know that π and -1 just broke up? They figured out that their relationship was not real.

[ducks]

6 Likes

I feel sorry for i and e. They thought they had a thing going but they must have imagined it.

[ducks]

4 Likes

I’m reminded of an old* YouTube video I once watched about a date between pi and e
 which included a joke about e not being sure she’s normal. Also, I think there was a joke about pi making a premature love confession only to cover it up by turning I love you into I love Euclidean geometry. Also, if memory serves, their waiter was one of those constants that has it’s own symbol(I think it was either a lowercase Gamma or that funny B looking thing from the German alphabet), but which no one ever talks about.

*As in so old I literally watched it and didn’t just listen to it, and my vision started failing around July 2012, so it was at least 12 years ago.

2 Likes

That’s likely Euler’s constant γ, which shows up a lot in analytic number theory and discrete maths. It has the honour of being the most important constant that we don’t know whether it is irrational or not, to say nothing of normal.

On-topic: I’m amazed nobody has yet mentioned the Wiener measure.

5 Likes

e, i, and π had a relationship, but it was a negative one.

[bonus points for the first person to come up with the answer to that one :slight_smile: ]

1 Like

e^iπ = -1
the so called Euler identity.

I admit I googled it.

2 Likes

Huh, I knew proving things transcendental was hard and proving things normal was nearly impossible with known math(are there any proven normal numbers other than the constant that is constructed as the concatenation of the natural numbers?) despite almost all real numbers being both transcendental and normal, but I thought irrationality proofs where on the fairly easy end of the dificulty spectrum
 Then again, the periods of prime reciprocals grow roughly linearly with the magnitude of the prime, and I imagine finding a pair of large primes from their ratio isn’t much, if any, easier than finding a pair of large primes from their product, and if the period is millions of digits, finding where the first repeat starts could be difficult, and the first million digits could repeat for a million cycles before devolving into the non-repeating, non-terminating chaos(and my apologies to any Chaos theorists reading this for the colloquial usage of this word) of irrationality
 It being called Euler’s constant when e is sometimes called Euler’s number isn’t confusing though.

Oh yeah, the value of the fifth busy beaver number was recently proven after being found 30 or so years ago
 And one of the non-halting turing machines that stood in the way of Busy Beaver 5 claiming its crown takes billions of steps for any well-behaved pattern to emerge. And the actual 5 state Busy Beaver takes over 47 million steps to halt.

Also, I’m just guessing from plugging in a few values, but does the graph of r = the zth root of z superimposed with a hyperboloid of one sheet with axis on the z-axis look as suggestive as I’m imagining? As an aside, the girthiest part of r = the zth root of z is at z = e.

And feel free to ask if you need explanations to anything I’ve posted in this thread.

1 Like

Not sexy, but I laughed really hard when I heard this one:

-Why is 6 afraid of 7?
-Because 7 8 9 .

4 Likes

(throws fake foam tomatoes at @Exemptus and @Lancelot)

And those are compliments! :joy:

1 Like

That perception has probably been contaminated by the proofs of irrationality of numbers like √2 or log 2. Proving e or π irrational is harder, so much that they weren’t done until the 18th century (by Euler and Lambert, respectively). Other limits of “easy” sequences such as ζ(3) resisted efforts until 1978 (by ApĂ©ry). But proving ζ(5) irrational cannot be done by the same technique, nor the other odd integer values of the zeta function (the even integer values are long known to be irrational and expressible in terms of other constants).

Proving Îł irrational is probably much harder that that, and there are other constants that are intractable. Just try to prove that the integral of sin(sin x) between 0 and π is irrational. We don’t even know if e+π is irrational!

Results such as Schanuel’s Conjecture might help, but nobody knows how to prove that either

Mathematicians don’t normally call e “Euler’s number” in a professional context. That’s more of a pop name. If we have to refer to it in a roundabout way, we say “the base of natural logarithms”. When a disambiguation is necessary with a non-technical audience, γ is sometimes called “Euler-Mascheroni constant”, but it is a bit of a mouthful

But it does scan to “Gary, Indiana” opening up fabulous filking opportunities!

1 Like

With a capital E
And that rhymes with T
And that stands for
 Transcendental?

Plenty of math jokes, but any sex content is imaginary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1J6Ou4q8vE

Not quite a joke, but a limerick:

[ (12 + 144 + 20 + 3√4) / 7 ] + 5*11 = 9ÂČ + 0

how to read it

A dozen, a gross, and a score
Plus three times the square root of four
Divided by seven
Plus five times eleven
Is nine squared and not a bit more.

Two more (from the link given above somewhere):

part 1

The first one orders one beer. The second one half of a beer. The next a quarter, the next one eighth, and so on

The barkeeper is very annoyed and gives all of them together two beer.

part 2 (political but kinda funny because of its absurdity)

An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar

The first mathematician orders a beer

The second orders half a beer

“I don’t serve half-beers” the bartender replies

“Excuse me?” Asks mathematician #2

“What kind of bar serves half-beers?” The bartender remarks. “That’s ridiculous.”

“Oh c’mon” says mathematician #1 “do you know how hard it is to collect an infinite number of us? Just play along”

“There are very strict laws on how I can serve drinks. I couldn’t serve you half a beer even if I wanted to.”

“But that’s not a problem” mathematician #3 chimes in “at the end of the joke you serve us a whole number of beers. You see, when you take the sum of a continuously halving function-”

“I know how limits work” interjects the bartender “Oh, alright then. I didn’t want to assume a bartender would be familiar with such advanced mathematics”

“Are you kidding me?” The bartender replies, “you learn limits in like, 9th grade! What kind of mathematician thinks limits are advanced mathematics?”

“HE’S ON TO US” mathematician #1 screeches

Simultaneously, every mathematician opens their mouth and out pours a cloud of multicolored mosquitoes. Each mathematician is bellowing insects of a different shade. The mosquitoes form into a singular, polychromatic swarm. “FOOLS” it booms in unison, “I WILL INFECT EVERY BEING ON THIS PATHETIC PLANET WITH MALARIA”

The bartender stands fearless against the technicolor hoard. “But wait” he inturrupts, thinking fast, “if you do that, politicians will use the catastrophe as an excuse to implement free healthcare. Think of how much that will hurt the taxpayers!”

The mosquitoes fall silent for a brief moment. “My God, you’re right. We didn’t think about the economy! Very well, we will not attack this dimension. FOR THE TAXPAYERS!” and with that, they vanish.

A nearby barfly stumbles over to the bartender. “How did you know that that would work?”

“It’s simple really” the bartender says. “I saw that the vectors formed a gradient, and therefore must be conservative.”

3 Likes