Server Crash

My web host has reported that “something” happened to the server all my sites are hosted on. They restored the “most recent backup” of the server image, which, sadly, is from three weeks ago. I had more recent backups of some of my sites (Lunatix Online, and StarLock from August 8th), but nothing more recent for this (my process that’s supposed to back it up and download it hasn’t been working).

They were supposed to copy all the MySQL data out before restoring the backup, so it could be copied back in. That doesn’t appear to have happened, but I’m still trying to get to the bottom of it.

status.midphase.com/2009/08/13/w … 31-issues/

This is all we’re going to get. They say the databases were “corrupt.” I honstly don’t think they tried very hard, if at all. Anyway, instead of consulting me before proceeding with the restore (turns out I did have on-server nightly backups of ALL my sites’ databases, which might not have been corrupt), they just reverted us back to July 21st.

I used to have these backups downloading every night to my local machine. That stopped working a while back, but I’m going to force downloads every morning from now on, just to be safe. I feel horrible about the loss of three week’s worth of posts, but I’ll do everything I can to make sure that it never happens again. Sorry, everybody.

Mr Panks’s revenge?

Don’t worry about it. sometimes these things happen despite our best efforts.

Merk, I’ve just sent you a PM.

Great news! Eriorg has located most of the missing posts in search engine cache, and I’m going through this morning to re-post what’s available. This means very little will actually be lost. Thanks Eriorg!!

List of missing posts I couldn’t find:

[] the topic about Paul Panks (General and Off-Topic Talk, last post: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:28 pm – Eriorg)[/]
[] the last post of “Beta-testers Wanted for IF Comp Entry” (Game Announcements and Beta Testing, last post: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:23 pm, Merk)[/]
[] the last post of "“Starting off…” (Getting Started with IF Authoring, last post: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:37 am, Finn Rosenløv)[/]
[] (I think) the last post(s) of “Need help with finer points of story” (Game Design and General Theory, last post: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:17 pm – Schilcote)[/]

If anybody here can find some of these missing posts (especially the Paul Panks topic, because it was very recent) in the cache of their own browser, please send them to Merk!

Ah, at least there, I remember what I posted. I offered to test the game since I had some down-time that weekend. Several days went by and the game never surfaced in my email, and now I’m busy again. So nothing important lost there.

I checked my own browser cache - which also didn’t occur to me earlier - and found nothing. I have mine set small, to avoid wasted space. :frowning:

thanks for doing that guys, and thanks Eriorg! I tend to clear my browser cache out pretty regularly too for various reasons.