seems like it should work but dosn't

Hello all, here is what I am trying to accomplish, a picnic where depending on what you bring to eat is either going to be a swell time or a disaster. I am just going simple now testing it out til it works so here is an example of applicable code:

A person has a number called the picnic readiness.
the picnic readiness of a person is usually 0.

check taking grapes:
say “yada yada yada”;
increase the picnic readiness of the player by 3.

check going north in park during name of a scene:
say “this is a lovely spot for a picnic.”;
picnic begins happens in 1 turn from now.

at the time when picnic begins:
if the picnic readiness of the player is 3:
say “yada yada.” /

eventually there will be multiple items that will increase picnic readiness and present a more suitable and enjoyable picnic. So where am I going astray here?

What is going wrong? (I assume you have defined all the objects, locations and scenes you mention here. Also, I suspect that were you wrote “check going north in park during name of a scene:” you mean “check going north in park during picnic begins:”.)

One thing (untested): It looks like if the player picks up the grapes, then drops them, then picks them up again, picnic readiness will be 6 and your rule won’t fire. And if the player picks up the grapes, then drops them, picnic readiness will be 3 even though the picnic won’t be any good. Maybe you want to make that dependent on the items enclosed by the player at the time when picnic begins (or maybe the turn before)?

OMG I am such an idiot. So here was the deal I have a habit of throwing temporary code in to test things then I “usually” remove it it right after, in this case I totally forgot I had this little gem in:

check going north in park for the first time during day 3 evening:
if someone is invitpar:
if contessa is tre:
if the player encloses grapes:
say “mmmgrapppppes”;
increase the picnic readiness of the player by 3.

so obviously now the picnic readiness was 6 and nothing triggered. sorry to waste your time :frowning: